Chapter 36

Abril sat up in frantically, and looked at the man directly in his eyes. She searched his eyes and all she saw was disbelief and confusion. Thankfully, no anger.

Out of habit, she placed her hands on her stomach and sighed, "Shit. You heard that."

Crossing his arms, Cristiano raised an eyebrow, "Yeah, I did."

Abril sat cross legged on the bed and bit her lip, "So I guess you want to hear the whole story."

"That sounds like a good idea," Cris said sitting on the foot of the bed.

"From the beginning?" She asked.

"Well, yeah, unless you're hiding another huge bomb."

"Alright, I get it, you're mad," Abril says, placing a warm hand on his shoulder. There was no reaction from Cristiano just a slight shrug of the shoulders, "Just hear me out."

"I'm all ears."

Abril took a deep breath before starting the story, "I had a boyfriend. His name was Jonathan and we had been together since we were fifteen. We loved each other a lot and, well, I actually thought he was the one and that we would live happily ever after," Abril said and Cristiano visibly looked uncomfortable at those words, "We were so in love that I lost my virginity to him when I was just fifteen, two months after we started dating. Crazy right? I know.

"My mom always said to practice safe sex and we did. He always wore a condom. But I- I never was on birth control. Even today, I don't use it. I know that it has some side effect. I'm stupid like that. But anyway, one night during summer after my junior year, we did it. And he used a condom, but I guess it broke. I found out I was pregnant a month later after my mom took me to the doctor. So basically mom was the first to know. And boy was she mad! All she said was that this baby was my responsibility and do what I think is best for it. I knew what she meant. Adoption, abortion or keep it. So I had this huge decision to make and so I told Jonathan. He was very supportive and said we should keep it.

"But I was so young. We were so young. I told Catalina and she said adoption. She said, her cousin always wanted a baby, but they couldn't because they were infertile so I went to talk with them and they were so happy. I was going to give them a child and I felt so happy too knowing that my baby was going to live well. I told Jonathan that adoption was the best option, but he still wanted to keep the baby. So I made a compromise. The adoption would be an open adoption and we would get to see the baby whenever we wanted. When she was born I got to name her. Her name's Emilia, and I see her once every 6 months. She calls me Aunt Abril and doesn't know I'm actually her mom. She's eight and honestly, I regret giving her up, but it's for the best."

Abril was crying by the end of the story and Cristiano pulled her into a hug, "Shh it's okay. You're okay."

"Jonathan broke up with me seven years after she was born and he doesn't go see her anymore. He's a total asshole. She asks for him all the time, but he never shows." Abril sniffled, "Are you mad at me, Cris?"

There was a moment of silence before he answered, "No, just a bit disappointed you didn't tell me."

"Sorry," She said, clinging to his white t-shirt. "It's difficult to talk about."

"I know," He said, petting her head softly. "But she has parents who love her and maybe Jonathan was never going to be a good dad. It happened for a reason."

"Am I going to be a good mom?" She asked, peering at him through heavy eyelids.

"The best." Cris said.

"You think so?"

"Really? Have you seen yourself with Junior? He loves you to bits." He says kissing her tears away. "So are there any more secrets? Do you have a husband I don't know about?"

Abril chuckles, "Yes, two actually."

"What?" Cris asked, shocked.

"Kidding." Abril says, pocking his chest.

"Abril Delano, you are honestly the most annoying woman I have ever met." Cris said laying back on the pillows of the king bed.

"And you are the most gullible person on this planet."

"Look the the ceiling is green," Cristiano said, looking at the ceiling in disbelief.

"Who do you think I am? You?" Abril asked.

"Bitch." Cris mumbled.

"Jerk," Abril said, copying the lines of the best show ever.

"I love you Abril," Cris said pulling her back to the pillows softly.

"I love you, too." Abril smiled.

Silence filled the room. Abril laid on Cristiano's chest, about to fall asleep. Peace was finally reached.

The drama was over and now all there was to do was sleep through the night with no interruptions.

Junior was sleeping soundly in his room and Abril was sleeping soundly on Cristiano's chest.

Perfect.

But then,

"Pssst, Cris!" Abril whisper-yelled, shaking Cris gently, "I'm having some weird contractions right now."