08 | knight in shining armour

0 8

knight in shining armour

     I'm not surprised.

     Being Justine's best friend and one of the most popular girls in school, it's no shock that Iris Goodwin's hosting one of the biggest and wildest parties I've ever seen.

     Drunk teenagers. Red plastic cups. Keg stands. Ear-exploding electronic music. Swimming pool. Big, big house. Vomit. It's like the time in the club. Except, this time, more people are going to recognise us. A lot of people. And I don't have any of the dark strobes, circulating bodies or out-of-this-world atmosphere to render me invisible.

     An hour we've arrived and an hour Justine has chosen to ignore me. Maybe she's testing me again. Right now Liv and I are by the pool, where a couple of unlikely drunken girls are swimming — or floating — on the water. The only way I know they're alive is by the bubbles popping out of the water.

     The patio door is wide open, so even though we're outside, music still blasts in the air and chatter still radiates everywhere. So we're not avoiding, not really. Not when I sense Justine giving me furtive looks whenever she passes by the area. I try not to notice.

     I do notice, though, Liv strained beside me.

    "Stop looking so paranoid," I tell her. "You're scaring potential suitors."

     She nods hysterically. "Good."

    "They're just guys, Liv."

    "Horny guys," she rephrases, "that expects too much of me."

     I pat her affectionally in the back. Nothing has ever gone too far, because I'm usually the one who shoos them off, but there was one guy who squeezed her ass. I chased him through the whole parking lot. 

     So I guess I'm not so far off when I assume that Liv doesn't want trouble tonight. Sometimes it ends well. Sometimes it doesn't.

    "Don't worry, Liv. I'll be your knight in shining armour."

     A familiar figure walks over to us and I sigh gratefully. I will never admit this out loud but I'm glad he came. None of our usual friends go to these A-list parties, and frankly, I need more company.

    "Hello, ladies," Trey greets, looking as annoyingly handsome as ever.

    "Hi," I reply dryly. "Nice of you to finally show."

    "I was trying to make an entrance, and I couldn't miss an opportunity to advertise myself." His eyes gleam with mischief. "Thanks for the invite."