12 | nancy drew with pigtails

1 2

nancy drew with pigtails

     In the rarest of times, I go to the cafeteria alone.

     Liv is already there, Trey's somewhere with Vic, and apparently I have no other friends left. 

     The bustle of hungry, worn out teens and the aroma of oil-scented food hits me full-force. It's kind of overwhelming to enter a place where everyone is where they belong, and here I am looking like a lost puppy.

     I'm already holding my tray, filled with my stomach's desires, when Justine calls me over. 

    "Addie!"

     The whole cafeteria kind of stops. Like time is frozen. Hell, I am frozen. Why is she calling me over? For what logical reason? My head is quickly overthinking, but I can't find any possibility. Is this about the play? Trey? Or something else entirely?

     Justine turns, raising an impatient eyebrow.

     I gulp.

     Walking to her tentatively, I realise Liv sits on my right. Our eyes meet, but instead of giving me a what-the-hell look — to which I would give her if she was in my situation — she gives me a thumbs-up instead. 

     I literally do not deserve that angel.

     I feel like my head is about to burst when I reach Justine. It's not only her that makes me nervous, but it's her friends as well. She's with her usual girls, like Resting-Bitch-Face Iris and boring Yolanda included, and they've been scowling at me for at least ten seconds.

     Why am I here again?

    "Cute pigtails."

     I'm startled again that it's Justine who speaks. She says it matter-of-factly, so I'm not sure if she's making fun of me or if it's a genuine compliment. 

    "Thanks." I pat one of my low pigtails, feeling self-conscious.

    "What is that?" Iris scrunches up her nose in front of me.

     Surprised, I look down on my tray. There's some spaghetti and meatballs, a carton of strawberry milk, and this chocolate pudding that I thought looked good when I first saw it under the glass.

    "Edibles." I point to hers. "What's that?"

     There's only a can of yogurt in her whole freakin' tray.

     The other girls look offended by my validation, but to my curiousity, I see Justine pursing her lips. Like she's holding back a laugh. Or maybe she's secretly annoyed as well. I don't really know, and even Yolanda gives her friend a weird look, like girl, what even is your face?