39 | history notes

3 9

history notes

     The cafeteria is an interesting place.

     Trey and I are sitting with his friends, like we have been for the past weeks; Jude and Justine are with Jude's track mates and some of Justine's girls whom I recognise from her old circle. Including Iris and Yolanda, even after everything. It's like the Round Table is back, and seeing them in a different crowd where I obviously don't belong... stop.

     Then there's Liv and Vic, who's nowhere to be seen.

     Like I said, interesting.

    "You were so dope in the play, man," Keith starts, clapping Trey's back. The play is what everyone's been talking about.

    "Yeah," Landon adds, "like, I really felt the tension." Of course you did, none of it was fake. "You should really try out for — "

    "Hey."

     That was a feminine voice and it's not mine.

     The five of us look up to see Liv and Vic standing in front of our table.

    "Are these seats taken?"

     None of the boys answer, not even Trey. I think that's a sign that they want me to answer, or giving me the chance to do so. "It's saved for my best friend," I slowly say. "Haven't seen her in a while."

    "Well, I bet she must've missed you a lot."

    "She does?" My voice is too vulnerable with hope.

    "Eh, just a tad bit."

     But she cracks a smile, and damn, how I've missed my Olivia's smile. I grin wide and nudge the seat closest to her. "Hop in, then, the seat's getting cold."

    Next to her, Vic pouts. "Am I invited, too?"

    "Who are you again?"

     He gives me a middle finger and the entire table chuckles.

     The ruckus we make attracts attention, but from one particular group: the twins' table. Everyone there turn heads except Jude and Justine, and I'm sure they're pretending like they don't care. Checking their phone and glancing at their nails. Or at least I hope they do.

     I look to the person next to me. She looks at me back.

    "I'm sorry — " we both utter at the same time.

     Liv and I blink before bursting out in laughter. "You first."

     I gulp. "I'm sorry," punctuating that freakin' word, "for being a know-it-all, okay? For being a complete control freak on your love life. You're much more than capable in taking care of yourself — and I'm sorry if I ever made you feel like you weren't. Like I knew things better than you, because clearly I don't — "