38 | puck's poison, pt. 2

3 8

puck's poison, pt. 2

A C T  III ,  S C E N E  2

     Liv returns to the woods with Trey still on her trail, begging her to accept his love, her long gown billowing behind her.

    "I'm not making fun of you, I love you!" Trey lets out, pulling her hands towards his chest and dropping to his knees.

    "But you love Hermia!"

    "Forget about Hermia! Demetrius loves her, and he doesn't love you!"

     Vic stumbles upon them again, daze-eyed after "I've" given him the love potion. When he sees Liv, his expression turns into love — but I doubt he needs to act it. "Oh Helena, goddess, nymph, perfect, divine! Let me kiss you, my princess!"

    "I see that you both want to make fun of me!"

    "Lysander!" Justine stomps towards the scene and the crowd gives an audible gasp. The rage in her tone carries through the whole room. "Why did you unkindly leave me alone in the woods?"

    "Why should I stay when love presses me to go?" Trey pauses for a while, then visibly bites his lip before he adds, "you should know that I left because I hate you." Ouch.

    "But it cannot be!"

     Liv raises her hands up in exasperation. "They've all conjoined here to make fun of me!" She turns to Justine, and I think this is the first time the two characters face each other. "Hermia, most ungrateful maid! Have you forgotten all schooldays friendship? All childhood innocence? We were two bodies but one heart! Why have you joined the two men to make a fool of your poor friend?"

    "I'm amazed at your passionate words," Justine spats, and steps forward while Liv instinctively steps back. I don't think she meant to do it by how her cheeks are suddenly red. "I do not despise you. It seems that you despise me!"

     It's weird to see the four of them in this dynamic. It's like seeing them from a third point of view, reminding me that I'm an outsider. 

     Like I always have been.

     The two girls continue their catfight, but when Liv tries to leave, Trey cuts in: "Helena, I love you! By my life, I do!"

    "I love you more than he does," Vic boasts, shielding Liv and meeting Trey square by the shoulder. They banter more before starting to depart, but Justine outstretches a hand to Trey.