31 | olive branch

3 1

olive branch

    "Trey."

     No answer.

     "Trey."

     He slams his locker and turns to me. "Oh, sorry. I didn't see you."

     I roll my eyes. "Can we talk? Please?" I tangle and untangle my hands. "It's important."

    "I have things to do."

    "Trey!" I drag his sleeve back when he goes to leave, and he lets out a noise as he trips backwards. "What did we say about talking and being honest with each other?!"

    "That was when you still had some sense in you." 

     Double ouch. "TJ will get what's coming for him, alright? Right now we have more pressing matters to discuss." Trey raises an eyebrow. "Justine and Jude's eighteenth birthday."

     His dark eyes widen. "Shit, it's next week, isn't it?"

    "Darn right. Did you forget?"

    "No." But his eyes dart at anywhere but me.

    "Liar." I point at his face with a victorious grin. "Admit it, Gonzalez, you need me."

    "Okay, before you rub it in, can you please give me some personal space?" He springs my hands away and gestures to our close bodies. "It's funny how you thought you could hold me by force. You're miniature." He pauses, contemplating. "Like a hamster."

     I blink at him. "Did you just refer to me as a hamster?"

    "That I did."

    "I hate you."

    "The feeling," Trey drawls slowly, "is almost mutual."

    Ugh. "Look," I start. "It's better if we put aside this... fight or whatever we're having — and agree to do this together. For the twins. I know you want to do something special for her," I add, and Trey's quiet, pursing his lips. "And it's the perfect step to getting back to her good graces, right?" I bite my lip. "And me with Jude."

     He arches a brow on that last bit. "Should I even ask?"

    "I feel like you already know anyway." 

     He nods, confirming this. "Have for a while."

    "Great, so we can — wait, what?  What do you mean a while?"

    He merely grins at me. "Meet me by the school's directory after school," he says, not leaving me dry. "I have a good idea to start with."