23 | law of attraction

2 3

law of attraction

    "Whoa!" Liv lets out. "Slow the hell down!"

     She drags me to an empty lab class after I've just uttered the most craziest words of Adelaide Hale history. By the look of the skeleton stand, the naked female body, and some weird form of a sperm, I deduced that this was the biology room. Certainly a great place for me to gush about how I might be falling for the most unlucky fall-worthy person ever. The school player. The socialite.

     I pace around, heart racing. "I'm telling you, Liv, it's not possible — "

    "Facts!" she blurts. "I need facts!"

    "Like what?!"

    "I don't know! How you feel around him?!"

     I stop, biting my lip. Steadying my breaths. How I feel around him? Oh, God, what are feelings?!

    "Um." I tangle my hands together. "I like the way he looks... and he's smart... and kind of funny when he wants to be."

     Oh my God. I sound like Trey when he first described Justine.

     Liv gapes at me. "That's it?"

     No, no, that can't be it. Come on, Addie, think! "When he's around, I'm happy. I like that we're close enough to talk about almost anything. How I can be myself with him. How we complement each other. And out of all people, he chose to get to know me."

     Well, technically, he didn't get close to me so he could know me better. But it led to that ultimate fact. He had to know that we would spend a lot of time together. A guy like him willingly wanting to hang out with a girl like me was a little bit hard to believe.

     Liv is giving me the judgy face.

    "Don't give me the judgy face!"

     She rolls her eyes. "This is so confusing," she mutters. "You sound like you like him, but it's just not adding up. I just don't see it."

    "Is it not obvious?" I ask slowly.

     She cocks her head. "Not really. If someone knows you well."

    "Thank God." I can not have Trey know about this crazy possibility. It would be the downfall of our friendship... and maybe his relationship with Justine, too.

     Liv eyes me, waiting.

    "I don't know, man." I lean against the table, suddenly drained. "I feel really comfortable... when he touches me. When he's with me, close. We understand each other." God. "Isn't that what love feels like?"