twelve : the explanation

I began to walk out and as I was closing the door I saw the little slut he was sleeping with pop out from under the sheets.

"Hazel?" I squinted my eyes. It was definitley Hazel. She then quickly squirmed back under the sheets. "Hazel! I know that it's you." I sighed. What the hell is happening with my life right now?

I saw her come back from hiding. "Sages, I am sorry I didn't want you to find out this way." Hazel began to apolagize.

"There is no excuse for this. I honestly thought that you were my friend."

"Sage," Hazel began to speak. "You guys weren't technically dating yet, so I didn't really do anything wrong."

"THAT DOESN'T MEAN YOU GO SLEEP WITH THE GUY THAT I THINK I MIGHT BE IN LOVE WITH,"
I regretted the instant that came out of my mouth. "Or, I thought I was, that was before...this."

"Sagie, you, you loved me?" Matt questioned. "Are you serious?"

"I mean...yeah..I supposed I did. But now," I began to raise my voice more. l don't know what to think of you. And I don't know who to be more mad at about this."

"Sage, please just let me explain."

I thougt about what letting him explain this would do to the situation. Could it really fix anything? It was obviosuly not going to be a very valid excuse.

"Fine," I said, with a sharp tone running through my voice.

Matt looked over at Hazel.

"Hazel, can you please leave so I can talk to Sage alone,"

"What??" Hazel said angrily. "You are going to say a bunch of fake shit about me now,"

"This conversation doesn't concern you! Leave!" The second he raised his voice, Hazel walked out of the room and slammed the door.

"Spill," I said to Matt.

"Okay Sage, I know what I did was wrong, I know my excuse is not a valid explanation for any of this, and I know that you will never forgive me, I just wanna tell you why I did it. Please let me explain,"

"I said you could, now say it before Hazel comes storming back in." I scoffed at the sound of her name. I thought she was my friend.

"Okay, so this thing between Hazel and I has been going on far before I met you, Sagie,"

"So why didn't you end it?"

"I am getting there. Just listen," Matt continued to explain after I cut him off. "Again, this thing between Hazel and I has been going on long before I met you. Like very very long. I am not going to lie to you Sage, I used to enjoy sleeping with her, but I never liked her the way I like you. Like Sage, I really like you, I think maybe even love,"

"I thought I was in love with you too, until, until... this!" I wanted him to keep explaning. I wanted him to give me a good enough reason for why he was fucking my best friend, but I am not sure if it will make up for it. I just want Matt back, and I want whatever the hell is going on between Matt and Hazel to end.

"May I continue, honey?" I nodded and he began speaking again. "One day, she told me that she liked me. This was months ago, again, long before I had met you. I knew I didn't like her, so I didn't want to lie to her. I told her I didn't want to do anything with her if she felt more about me than I felt about her. I hope that makes sense. But anyway, she left that night right after I told her that. In a way, I feel rude about saying that. I broke the poor girl's heart. But in another, I feel good about it. Why should I have to lie to her? You should never lie to a girl.  We didn't speak for weeks, until the day she introduced me to you for 'lessons'. At first I was confused on why she would try to get my together with her best friend, but soon I realized why."

"Why?"

"Revenge."

"Umm.. what do you mean?"

"Sagie, I really didn't want to have to tell you this... but... remember when we had sex in out little 'sleepover' and I may have took a few pictures of us on my phone,"

"Uh, yeah,"

"Well, that was a huge mistake. Turns out Hazel knows my phone password, and she said if I don't... you know... fuck her, then, she will send out the pictures. I am doing this to protect you, baby. You have to believe me,"

I paused, sighed, and thought for a moment.

"I do believe you," I said, realizing his story made everything much clearer.

"So... you forgive me?"

"Yes."

He scooted towards me leaned forwards for a kiss. I pushed his muscular body away from me.

"You just said you forgived me?!" He said, angry that I wouldn't kiss him.

"Matt, I do believe you. I do forgive you. And I do really really love you."

"So then what's the problem, honey?"

"I'm just not ready for this yet. This whole situation made me realize something - this isn't me. My life shouldn't be like this. I need to go back to being the shy, smart ass, teachers pet kid I used to be. I know you want me to be with you, and I know I want to be with you, but I just can't, I'm so sorry."

I saw a tear rolled down Matt's face. I gave him a kiss on the cheek.

"Goodbye Matt Talen."

"Goodbye Sage Brookes."

I walked out the door of his bedroom and drove back to my house. Did I make the right descision?

a/n comment some suggestions for what should happen in the next few chapters of my book! :))