The Perks of being Invisible

Yup, you've guessed. Book club. Except this one almost went under the radar. Good thing I thought the title sounded familiar.

Authoraisha_35

Genre: Chicklit (but trust me, it's not)

No. Chapters read: 3

First impression: Holy shit, this is depressing.

Cover: It's some chick with huge hair. And paint on her face and/or body. And ah, random stickers of projects you couldn't hate because they're so important. Save the children. Really? There's such a thing as project save the children?? What the hell does it do? Does it actually save children? I'm sorry, this has nothing to do with your cover, but... save the children???

Is it an interesting cover? Yes, it is. Is it a chicklit cover? No, it's not. Does it fit the little story I've read? No, it doesn't. Does the little story I've read belong in chicklit? No, must definitely not.

Cover rating: good, but fits the story not.

Blurb: It's awkward. I kinda understand the message, but it's not very clear. For instance, the first paragraph implies that Liberty hates being invisible, then she thinks it's her superpower. Then, the next paragraph is just not true, since she was a delinquent before her parents broke up and she decided she wanted to be scene.

I'm not very fond of the wording in the blurb. The content itself also has extraneous information, like the one about her siblings. Save the details for the book. The blurb is for the big stuff.

Blurb rating: Meh.

Let's get it on!

Second impression: Holy shit, this is depressing.

Actual review (drum roll please):

Language/Writing: Why oh why do you feel the need to describe almost every word in your phrases? And the ones in which you don't do that? Clinical as fuck phrases. You need to vary length and style or it gets boring really fast. And over-describing stuff makes everything unnatural.

Other than that, standard mistakes of misused prepositions and missing commas, but not something big. You're grammar is actually pretty good.

Language rating: it's not terrible

Plot: This is depressing as fuck. Did I say that? I don't know, maybe I was just not in the mood for this shit, but holy hell, this girl's a mess. Okay, her parents fight all the time, her room's the result of an explosion going off, she doesn't give two shits about school, she addresses her only friend with dude (like they're guys or something) and they set fire to a car.

Yes, Lee, you're life is crappy, and maybe you actually do deserve to be a woe is me character because, hell, yeah, it sucks, but that doesn't make me like you. It makes me shake my head and feel sorry for you, but not want to get to know you or your problems. Sorry, I'm done with teenage angst. It's the best part about not being a teenager anymore.

Plot rating: Ugh, just... no.

Characters:

Liberty: I don't like her. Her life sucks, but she's not exactly making it any easier on herself. I would've said it's just bad circumstances and that's why she's smoking and drinking and setting fire to cars and simply hanging out with a sociopath. But when you complain that you're invisible and would actually, deep down inside, want to change that, and then you're mean to people coming to talk to you because they're not cool enough for you, I have just two words for you. Fuck you! Yup, I said it. 

You're suffering because the people you want to notice you don't notice you and you're mean to the ones you deem beneath you. You're not my favorite person.

Avril: Is a freaking sociopath. She doesn't even have Liberty's crappy life excuse. Like her even less.

Zayne: is also a fucking sociopath who wants to burn down someone's car. For cash. This book is just getting more depressing with each character.

Liberty's parents: are fighting for some reason or another. It's not entirely clear, but apparently, they're too immature to sort out their shit and think of their 3 children.

Liberty's sibling: seem okay. Less fucked up than Liberty anyway.

Character rating: sociopaths

Why I stopped reading: I don't think I would've reached chapter 3 if not for the book club. I'll be honest. This is not my cup of tea. I'm so depressed, it ain't even funny.

Grade: Fail. And only because I hated the characters and got the shivers reading this. And because it's wrongly put under chiklit. Learn you're genres. This is NOT chicklit.

Song: Yup. Lee's a basket case.