Chapter 24

Chapter 24

Camdyn was exhausted. Sleep was evaded and fought as he lay behind Aislinn making sure she still breathed. Hours he had watched as she had faded in front of him, how she had wretched and the fear he felt as Isla and Nessia had tried their hardest to help her survive. They were not confident she would last the night.

He was.

She would not leave. Not now. She was not built that way. She had a purpose to fulfil here and dying would left that undone. He had a feeling she always completed what she set out to do. The fact that she didn’t know what her role yet was made no difference. She would fight to complete it, and he would make sure that it was a lifelong job. He would change the rules. He was not letting this woman go.

The bruises on her face were slowly fading, they had hit their darkest on the ride in to Mackay land. Now they were yellowing on the edges. He was glad they were healing, but their colour was stark against the paleness of her skin. The whiteness glowing in the low firelight. Lifting away a lock of hair from her forehead, he made sure that she was still breathing, though it was lightly. It calmed him. The proof she was still here, while not aware that he was with her, at least someone would be when she woke. Because she would wake of that he had no doubt.

Curling himself around her, as he had in the cave that first night, he lent his body heat to her. And finally, he succumbed to sleep, it was creeping into early morning as his eyelids fluttered closed. Usually not so drained, he would dream of nonsensical things that made no real sense. But in the dark hours of the night, when utter exhaustion hits his dreams are different. It is the first time in years he had had this dream. He had this same dream repeated sporadically over the years. It started the same way as always.

There were people all around him, there was turmoil around them. Distress plain on the faces of the woman as the discussion became heated. The males arguing with vigour. The language was similar yet completely different. But while he could not understand the exact words the whole general conversation was clear to him. It always had been. He knew they were talking of danger. Half the males were warriors claiming their prowess was unbeaten. That they would win any match before them, even this knew threat. He felt akin to these men. He found himself siding with them in a show of camaraderie even though the true problem was never revealed to him.

The men they were arguing vigorously with varied in age. While some looked old and wise, others old and cantankerous, the younger men on that side looked down upon their warrior brethren. The ones who kept them safe while they kept to their lofty station, thinking and pondering. Cam did not know why he was so prejudice towards this group, but with his unconscious siding with the warrior men meant that it was somehow instinctual that he disagree with these others.

He knew it would end as it always did, the others would win. The warriors would lose. Hours of discussion would pass by in minutes before him. He would never understand exactly what happened within those missed hours, but the outcome would remain the same no matter how many times he dreamed.

It was the women, he knew, who swayed the warriors. Their need to protect was stretched to the limit, as they agreed to something that would take that protection out of their hands. Cam could tell the women were not pleased with the plan, but they were resigned to it. Families would be torn apart. This unknown threat had seen to that. The outcome would have been the same if this decision had not been made. Only this way meant that the children could have a better chance. They would never know the answer, but the hope was what had swayed the conclusion. Without that hope nothing could be gained and all could be lost.

The dream always changed at this point, but what he saw after was different. He usually saw families saying farewells, as something was prepared for. This time, for the first time, he was focused on one couple. A couple, who from their very body language were always meant for each other. That love would mean they could not be separated, but it would help them to save the ultimate creation from that love. The small boy they held tightly between them. He was one of the youngest in the clearing.

Cam had never had his ‘feelings’ in a dream before. But he ‘felt’ now. He knew these people. He had not focused on this couple before, but knew intrinsically that they were a part of him somehow.

The father had been one of the outspoken warriors at the meeting. It now made sense. It was the ultimate reason to fight for. Your other half and the family you have created together. He knew they would never see their son grow up. The utter loss in that moment was as much as love between them. But this way he would not die by the sword of an invader, but be given a chance. Be a symbol of their love to survive and prosper in a way they could not give him now.

For an utterly surreal moment, the couple transformed before him. He stood before himself, towering over Aislinn, who cradled their child in an embrace. A longing he had never felt before speared through him. He had never been afraid to want. And work until what he had wanted had become his. He could no longer deny what he wanted. If a familiar dream could not convince him, then waking suddenly to feel Aislinn, still very much alive just as the weak sunlight filtered into the room.

Yawning and cracking his neck after the unfamiliar position he had slept in, he made sure to store away his epiphany until he could actually make a plan. He had to make sure she survived before he could plan for that future. Careful not to disturb Aislinn before him, knew she still had a long way to go, he climbed out of bed to head towards the door. Stopping for a second, he took a look back at her. Still pale, and extremely still, but her breathing had evened out and become deeper while he had slept.

Pleased she had not become worse at least, he headed out into the corridor to call for Isla. But was stopped after the door opened, and was met by a wall of man. Hamish had kept his promise and stayed the entire night on guard. Without a word Hamish stepped into the room as Cam stepped out.

Cam knew it was pointless to say anything to the man. He would do what he wanted any way. The only place he truly listened to Cam was on the battlefield as his commander. Hamish truly was good enough to lead, it showed Cam just what his friend thought of him to take orders from him.

Heading down the corridor towards Isla’s room he thought over what they could possibly need to help Aislinn. He was no healer that was for sure, but that did not mean he had no basis. He knew they would have to keep her warm, and try and get some form of liquid inside her as often as possible in order for her to fight to come back to them.

He just needed the actual orders to follow in order for Aislinn to wake sooner. He was not expecting her to be dancing a jig by the weeks end. But at least she could be complaining about the bed rest Isla was sure to have her on. He hoped, with everything within him.