9. Gleeman's Tales

Blurb:

Thousands of years after a cataclysmic war shook the Earth and nigh obliterated the human race, the descendants of those who survived have settled into new cities and formed new nations. These medieval societies are not completely devoid of "first age" technology, though an omnipotent cult of violent Luddites actively attempts to erase every record of the first age.

Storyteller Gnochi Gleeman bears the sole burden of humanity's forgotten past. For much of his life, he recounted tales, enlightening his tavern-audiences of their forgotten roots.

Calm is the day when Gnochi wakes to discover that he cannot recall anything from the most recent months of his life. The only thing the bard knows for sure is that a group, called Anubis, has kidnapped his family and in order to see their safe return, Gnochi must kill in the Anubian name.

People across the world are beginning to prepare for the once-in-a-decade winteryear. These maelstroms, only one of the "echoes" of the first age still present, have ravaged the Earth since it awoke from its nuclear slumber and recovered from its near destruction. Will proper preparations be taken before the Earth is blanketed in its yearlong snow?

My Impression: Imagination has no limits.

Interview:

Q. Can you recall how your interest in writing originated?

A. I had written a few short stories and attempted a novel as a pre-teen, but it wasn't until 9th grade honor's English class (that's 13-14 years old) when my love for writing germinated. And I can pinpoint it to a specific moment. We had to write, as a creative work, an additional chapter for Lois Lowry's The Giver. My story, which well surpassed the expectations, was read in front of the class. It was that moment when I, squirming in my seat wondering if everyone had figured out that it was I who had written the story (they were read anonymously) realized that I might enjoy this writing craft.

Q. What is you writing process and the way you brainstorm story idea?

A. There is no set process for my brainstorming. Ideas come as they please...many times into the baker's hours of the morning. With novels, for which I've written two, I spend time creating a quasi-outlined plan. I haven't really ironed everything out. With Gleeman's, it wasn't broken down by chapter, but with Harbinger, its sequel, I had a chapter layout.

I find pen and paper work the best for my brainstorming though. It does lead to a ton of loose paper/mess, but it's a little more personal. If I'm in a rush, and am within range of a computer or my phone, I'll type the idea up, but my preferred method is pen and paper. I actually write my novel's first drafts on paper too, using a fountain pen. No I'm not a hipster (though I do have a typewriter). I actually find the fountain pen slows me down and forces me to actually think about what I'm trying to say. Typing on a computer, my fingers can get ahead of my brain.

Q. Are you writing any other story apart from Gleeman's Tales?

A. The Gleeman's Tales Duology is complete. Years down the line, I may write a third novel in that universe, but I'm not going to be talking about that for quite a while. Outside of the Gleeman's universe, I am working on a robot-SF novel. I'm in the process of outlining that currently. It will be, as of right now, a stand-alone novel that takes place in a society of robots. Not ready to say too much more about that. If you want to stay tuned to hear about that, or are interested in beta-reading for that, check back on my website: matthewtravagline.com

4. Who is your favorite character in your story and why?

A. I don't know if I have a favorite character. I like pieces of all of my characters, and dislike qualities from most. I think I put a bit more of myself into Gnochi. He deserves the praise. We two, Gnochi and I, have been together since the earliest days of Gleeman's inception. Before any other character had a name or role, there was my bard.