22. Silent Downfall

Author: A. S. Raisa a_s_raisa

Blurb :

Indian all-round cricketer Mayank Sharma had always treasured the unlikeliest dream ever, he was a guy who fascinated himself as a serial killer. The rare talent had forever been a sea away from being content with his life in and away from the field. The path of destiny led him to was only an enormous mistake, or that is what he believed it to be. Unlike many of his peers, he had always considered himself unworthy of the glorious position he secured, the cold faith that he cherished deep in his heart claimed that he was born a sinner, the very chest of evil was the precise place he belonged to. His life was gliding by at its own pace until one night fate made him cross path with a 15-year-old belonging to a team he was mysteriously reluctant to face. Following a series of events, he finally found himself at a spot where the shortcomings of his life, at last, seemed to rectify themselves. Being awarded the key to ominousness that he always dreamed of, would he let it take over?

My Impression: A riveting and heavily textured psychological thriller.

Interview :

Q. What does cricket mean to you?

A. Let me start off with a pretty cliché saying - 'Cricket is not just a game. Cricket is an emotion.' The words could not be any truer for me. I always say that I watch cricket since my birth which means I have grown watching the game. Sometimes I wonder why my first words were not 'How's that?' (That's disappointing, baby me!) I rarely watch anything on the television except cricket. It dominates a fair portion of my brain (though I often claim that I don't have one) and I can barely pass an hour without thinking of it. The obsession results in frequent dreams as well as nightmares relating to cricket. I inhale oxygen for my lungs and cricket for my heart.

Q. Would you like to share a memorable moment related to cricket?

A. I have got innumerable memories related to the game. Some are hilarious, some are sad, some are magical and some are simply wonderful. Let me share a funny one about how I got my best friend into trouble.

It was the year 2018 and I was in class eleven. There was a match between Bangladesh and West Indies but unfortunately, I had classes that day. Despite my unwillingness, I began to drag myself towards the college with another friend of mine but before I did, I put my phone inside the bag (we were not allowed to carry mobile phones to the college). I knew that I was pretty much likely to get into trouble but my heart thought beating was important as well. On the way, I took my phone out and that was when I realized (for the umpteenth time) that my phone was a jerk and it would not let me access the scorecard. My soul, however, isn't easy to tame. I suddenly remembered that my best friend had an app where it is possible to check the score. Without a second thought, I called her, completely forgetting that it was around 7 AM in India (that's where she is from). My call woke her up but I was, however, not murdered. Although she laughed hard when I told her what my desperation was about but of course, she knew the plight. I entrusted her with the duty of providing me score updates from time to time.

I kept checking my phone for updates after getting into my class. The teacher walked in soon and I had to be extra careful. As far as I remember it was the second or third period. There was no message from my bestie for long and needless to say, my heart was desperately searching for its own brand of oxygen. I couldn't bear it anymore and tapped the 'call' icon. A few rings......and the call was declined. But no messages. I had absolutely no idea about what was going on. She did not get back to me anymore and later at Almighty's grace, my life was saved by my brother's girlfriend.