15. Swallow

Blurb: 

Swallow doesn't hold back. If you like gore, monsters, and psychological scares, this is for you! Mildred is a meek high school student who suffers bullying from peers and neglect from parents and authority figures. Finally, she has had enough. In an unhinged moment, she seeks vengeance in dark magic, unwittingly opening herself to a dreadful demonic possession. Suddenly, she's gaining all the good qualities she desires. The only problem is that she steals them from her bullies...by consuming them. The demon inside her is on a mission to make Mildred perfect by eating one bully at a time.

My impression: Good read. Extreme Gore. Not for a faint-hearted. 

Interview:

Q. How much are you inspired by Stephen King? If you get a chance to meet him what question would you like to ask?

A. I would say I'm highly inspired by Stephen King, although many other things also inspire me.

Q. How long did it take to plot your story?

A. The initial plot came to me in a flash. Swallow was one of those stories that seems to just pour out.

Q. What was going on in your mind while writing Mildred?

A. Mildred was going on. I put myself in her shoes the way an actor would.

Q. What is the most challenging part in writing violence?

A. The most challenging thing while writing violence is probably not having all the medical terms or the training to know exactly how a blow to a certain area will effect the body. To put it simply, the science part, I suppose.

Q. Did you personally meet anyone who has same insecurities as Mildred?

A. Oh, yes. I think most people have a bit of Mildred in them

Q. Is Swallow your first story?

A. Swallow is not my first story. My first story was written when I was about nine years old or so. It was called Sack Man and it was scary. I plan on re-writing it on here sometime.

Q. What makes a great horror story?

A. Connections. If you can build a connection between the main character(s) and the reader, and put them through just enough fear to make the reader feel the main character's fear, then you've made a great horror story.

Q. Why are you on wattpad?

A. I am on Wattpad to share my stories, to read other stories and help new writers make great stories that I will love to read.

Q. What is the best novel you read recently on and off wattpad and tell us why you liked it?

A. I haven't had much time to read on Wattpad, because my device has been crummy, but off Wattpad I've been really into Joe Hill's stuff. I love everything he writes, because it's so unique and his skill is off the charts.

Q. What are the best compliment and hurtful criticism you ever received?

A. I've gotten many of each. I think the most hurtful is actually the most useful, because they're usually the ones that point out what you're doing wrong and let you know how you can improve. Yes, it hurts, but we need that sometimes. The best comments are the ones where people tell me they screamed or laughed out loud in a room of people, lol, those always make me smile. It shows how deep they've gotten into the story and forgotten the world around them.

Q. What genre don't you prefer to read/write at all? And why?

A. I prefer horror, because it takes the focus off of real horrors in the world. It allows us to explore darkness from a safe distance. And also, it's the only genre that really keeps my attention.

Q. If you get one chance to change in your story what would it be?

A. I find things to change and improve often, which is one of the great things about Wattpad. But if we're talking about something I'd like to change and can't, I wish I could have let Mildred's story end happier, but it was just never going to end well.

Q. Describe your writing process.

A. My writing process is...unorganized and flexible. I write when I get inspired and my stories twist and turn as they go along. Sometimes I don't even expect things to happen how they do.

Q. What is the favorite dialogue in Swallow?

A. I love Mildred's discussions with Ozveta. Those were so fun to write. Q. When did you first know that you wanted to be a writer?

A. I can't remember any point when I first decided I'd be a writer...I just always sort of knew.

Q. Have you ever faced writer's block? If so, how do overcome it?

A. Everyone faces writer's block. I've found that the best way to combat it is to step back and take some time out. The words will come to you when you need them.

Q. What advice would you like to give to an aspiring writer?

A. Write. Do not give up. Just keep writing.