17. Samsaara

Author:  Nairalkesh

Blurb:

"And I will show wonders in the heavens and in the earth: Blood and fire and pillars of smoke. The sun shall be turned into darkness. And the moon into blood, Before the coming of the great and awesome day of the Lord" - Joel 2:30It began with a gentle nudge and ended with reality being changed eternally. Sometimes in life, you fail to understand, that the smallest event could affect your world so much. The strings of destiny and future are intertwined tightly around each other. Every choice that you arrive at, acts like a blade stripping tiny fibers of your life and twisting them into another potential future. It was my brief encounter with her before she disappeared without a trace in front of my eyes, that changed my life. The word change would be an understatement of cosmic proportions. She twisted, contorted and transformed everything that I knew about this cosmos and about myself. Now I find myself dragged into a never-ending conflict between the two ancient forces, one good, and the other evil. I have to use my inherent intellect, abilities in deduction and newly discovered powers to defend the world against the evil acts of the Watchers. After this amazingly pretentious description, how can I ever expect anyone to read it? But that's alright, I don't like you anyway.

My Impression :

A wonderful journey through time and space.

Interview:

Q. How did you come up with the story of Samsaara?

A. Samsaara started in 2009, with a simple question, 'Would I be able to write a novel?'. I made it easy on me, by basing characters on the people around me, including Rishaan, who is based on me. The story evolved and changed gradually, over the years to reach where it is now, but I don't think I really have a process. I just start and see where the words take me. When I hit a dead end, I try to find solutions.

Q. While reading your book I observed that your story isn't actually fantasy. What genre do you think your story actually fits?
A. I am not very aware of genres and types. Samsaara has some aspects of magical realism, some of the fantasy, some action, some romance and some poetry. I don't know if I can categorize it in any. It's just a story.

Q. Tell us something about your main protagonist Rishaan that you haven't mentioned in your book.

A. Rishaan is based on my character traits, hence he is not a hero. Just a regular guy who observes keenly. Also, Rishaan Kel is an anagram for my name.

Q. What are some of the things that an apprentice writer within the genres of science fiction and fantasy typically gets wrong, or at least gets under your skin?

A. I still think I have to grow a lot more as a writer, so I am in no position to advise others on what to do, and what not to. But one thing that irritates me, is when people don't try to spend time learning their craft. If you are not better tomorrow than you are today, or you are not working towards rectifying your mistakes then there will be no growth. Good stories often get spoiled by bad writing.

Q. How important is spirituality to your life now? Are you a religious person?A. I am not particularly spiritual or religious, but I do believe in humanity. So long as you do good, whether it is out of fear of God, or compelled by religion, or by your own choice, it is the right thing.

Q. A lotus symbol with a Zodiac sign. Which Zodiac sign were you referring to?

A. The real saurapeeth has all 12 zodiac signs on it.

Q. Tell us about your research process. And how important is it?

A. My research process is very haphazard. I only do it when the story reaches a dead end or I write myself into a corner. That when research helps me find alternatives to the outcome of the scene or story.

Q. GIve us an insight into your writing process. Are you a pantster or plotter?

A. My writing process is simple. I usually have a scene or a chapter all worked out in my head. I put myself in the scene, and then see, smell, touch everything in my imagination before I start writing. That helps in making vivid, realistic descriptions. Also, there is no alternative to actually experiencing when your Character is going through. Rishaan drowning, falling from heights, getting hit. Are based on my real life experiences, which is why I can write how it really feels like.

Q. Mary was an adorable character, what was going on in your mind when you ended her character?

A. Mary was my favorite character in the book. I decided to end her character to make the readers understand that this is not your typical story with a happy ending. But the next book will have some really interesting stuff because of her death.

Q. If you were given a core, what kind of power would you like to have?

A. I would love the ability to read minds. People are fascinating, and what people hide is even more so. Mind reading would be so entertaining

Q. What book are you currently reading on and off wattpad?

A. I am reading multiple books that are not on wattpad, but only books that will help me write better. One is a collection of poetry by Ruskin Bond, and a translation of short stories from Marathi called Karmachari, by VP kale. On wattpad, I follow all my friends writing, especially poetry.

Q. Who is your fav author? If you get a chance to meet him/her what question would you like to ask?

A.  My favorite poet/author is Edgar Allan Poe. If I could travel back in time, and meet him, I would have loved to get tips on improving my poetry.

Q. Besides sequels to Samsaara are any other story around the corner?

A. Samsaara and its sequels will be the only long Novel I will ever write. I don't have the time, patience and luck to research and write a concept like this again. But I will continue writing poetry, and I might have a collection of poems soon.

Q. Where do you see your book in next five years?

A. In bookstores, worldwide.

Q. What do you do when you are not reading/writing?

A. When I'm not writing, I am either working, or playing the guitar, and singing, since music is my other hobby. But to be honest, a large part of my day is spent working. 

Q. About Space Travel - Do you believe it's even possible, or do you believe there are some fundamental aspects of physics that we still don't understand that will eventually lead us to a breakthrough?

A. Teleportation, time travel, all of it is possible. The rate at which science and technology is progressing, it would not be wise to deem anything to be impossible.

Q. Real life terrorism and violence. How much did these concepts have affected you in writing?

A. Terrorism, violence, and crime are the main reasons for the slower progress of humanity. I like to write about such abstract concepts being the evils. Because I believe that no person is entirely bad. Even the Villain of my book Azrail has a good side.

Q. What makes a great a fantasy story?

A. If I knew what makes a great fantasy story, I would have solely written with that goal in mind. I suppose all stories are great, they are someone's experiences and creations.

Q. Of the technologies invented in your stories, what would you most like to see become reality, and which one would have the greatest positive effect on humanity?

A. Teleportation, I think that would help humanity the most, it will help connect people, reduce travel time, and most of all reduce emissions from fossil fuels.

Q. What advice would you like to give to an aspiring writer?

A. The best advice is to keep writing, and when you feel you are stagnating, start reading a lot and then continue writing again.

--------------------------------------------------

Thank you so much for your inspiring answers Nairalkesh. Please feel free to tag your friends to share your experience.