Chapter 8

September 2008

A sunny Monday morning came, bringing me back to the reality that is college.

After turning off the ninth alarm I've set, I made myself some strong coffee from the machine I bought with me while I sleepily chewed on a nutrition bar my Dad stocked up under my bed. By this time, my roommate was already on her first class, leaving me with no one to remind that I was gonna be late.

I wrestled my way to the packed common bathroom full of giggly girls lining up on cubicles. I take the quickest shower known to mankind and rush back to my room to get dressed before bidding my warm bed goodbye.

I made my way through the crowded grounds of Dartmouth, where my parents met when they were my age, and now insisted that me and my brother go here as well. My brother ended up here after a rejection letter from his first choice which was Harvard. An asshole with dreams, I'd call him.

At first, I figured I was going to NYU so I can go home on weekends and not be far from my parents, but when we dropped my brother for his first year, I immediately fell in love with the place.

Surprisingly, I was earlier than usual because the lecture hall was only half-full which was great as I still need to correct a few things on a paper for my next class. I nodded back to the few people who had the energy to greet at nine in the morning, stopping when I saw a different person beside my usual seat.

"You're not suppose to be here," I said on impulse. I know for a fact—from his student ID—that he was an English major.

"Yes, I'm aware but listen, I'm absolutely sorry about the other day. Something happened and I just—"

I shook my head, "S'okay, Harry. No need to explain."

He smiled, showing off his dimples. Geez, can he not just do that, "Okay, but I just wanted to say thanks."

"No biggie," I said, even if it was actually a huge deal since he almost hit me and I also had to spend my saturday afternoon dragging him but I didn't say that out loud. I wasn't that mean.

"Let me make it up to you," he offered, "How 'bout I treat you for some lunch later?"

"There's actually no need—"

"No, I insist," he said, standing up from his seat while still smiling

I sigh, raising my hands up in defeat. No harm in a lunch out anyway, "Okay."

* * *

Harry took me to a small but fancy family-run café outside the campus. It was actually hard to find since you had to go through this narrow street, but it was worth it since it has a nice view of the river. And it wasn't crowded too unlike the Dining Hall.

The servers look like they got dung under their noses though and kept scowling at the customers. A+ for hospitality.

"I'd recommend everything in their menu here," he said, raising his hand for the waiter.

I ordered their pancakes while Harry had his usual which was mac n' cheese.

"Liam told me about what happened, I'm really really sorry," he said while we wait for our order.

This is gonna go nowhere if he just keeps apologizing. I waved my hands, "I told you, it was okay. I had nothing to do with my Saturday anyway."

He sighed, nodding, "Still, it was a bit reckless of me," he looked around the empty cafe, "So, I think I have the right to know the one who saved me."