Chapter 6

[A/N: It's back to Jess' POV, I just wanted the end of last chapter to be Barba's so that it could end the way that it did! I hope you enjoy!]

I heard machines beeping around me, and I felt an IV in my arm. I groaned as I began to regain full consciousness, and my eyes opened to see a doctor and a nurse standing over me. The doctor smiled warmly and said, "Hey, Jessica. How are you feeling?" I shifted my weight so that I was comfortable, and I said, "I've been better... What happened?" The doctor's smile left his face and he explained, "You were shot on the job, and we had to surgically remove the bullet slug, as well as repair your dislocated shoulder." I sighed, and the doctor quickly changed the subject, asking, "Are you feeling up to visitors?" I smiled lightly and replied with a question of my own, asking him, "Well, who's all here?" The doctor looked down at my chart and said, "Olivia Benson, Amanda Rollins, Odafin Tutuola, and Rafael Barba." My eyes grew wide at the mention of Barba- I had no clue how he would react. That realization prompted me to say, "Can you send them all in?"

A few minutes later, I saw Rollins and Benson leading the boys to my room. They entered my room, and Rollins and Fin took seats next to my bed. Liv and Rafael stood at the foot of my hospital bed, and Fin broke the silence, saying, "Jess, I'm so glad that you're okay..." I smiled and said, "What, you didn't think that you could get rid of me that fast, did you?" Rollins and Fin smiled warily at my feeble attempt at humor, and then I met Rafael's gaze. I knew that he wanted to talk to me privately, but I was too nervous. For that reason, I chose to see Fin first, because he was probably beating himself up about letting me take point.

"Jess, I'm so sorry-" Fin began when Benson shut the door after everyone else left the room. I interrupted him and said, "Fin, you think that just because you put me on point for that raid that it's your fault? That's not true, and you know it." It was silent again, and I finally asked him, "Was my takedown done correctly?" Fin nodded and replied, "Yes, Jess. Your takedown was by the books... He drew his gun faster than anyone could have said anything." I suddenly remembered the UC, and I asked, "How's Marissa doing? The UC?" Fin smiled and answered, "She's good. She was thrilled that we caught this guy in the sting, and she was happy to be a part of it."

After talking for a few more minutes, Fin went to go get Rollins. After talking to Rollins, Benson came in. As soon as she shut the door, I nervously asked her, "How mad is Raf?" She took a moment to answer, and that was enough for me. Benson proceeded to say, "I talked to him while you were in surgery... I told him that nothing was wrong with your takedown and that there was no way of knowing that this guy was armed. He's still emotional though, it was a long night for him." I looked over at the clock on the table, and I saw that it was the next day. "Oh my god, Liv... Did you guys stay here overnight? For me?" She smiled and said, "Well, Barba insisted that he was staying, so we all stayed with him." I whispered, "Oh god, you didn't have to do that..." Benson silenced me and said, "Barba's dying to talk to you. I'm gonna send him in."

The 5 minutes that passed between Benson leaving and Rafael coming felt like the longest 5 minutes of my life. I was beginning to fall asleep because of the painkillers that I was given, but as soon as I heard the doorknob jiggle, I was awake and alert. I saw the door open, and I looked up to see Rafael. I smiled, and I felt myself beginning to get nervous. Raf closed the door behind him, and it was just the two of us. He sat down next to me, and he enveloped my hands in his. "Raf-" I began, but he stopped me, saying, "Don't, Jess. You don't have to say anything." He sounded aggrivated, and even though I was risking starting a fight with Rafael, I opened my mouth anyway.

"I do, Raf. I'm sorry." I felt tears beginning to come to my eyes, and I looked down at the bedsheet. I felt one of Rafael's hands come up to my face, and he brought my chin up so that I was looking directly at him. "Look at me, cariño." His tone was gentle and caring, which surprised me. I was expecting him to be angry. I looked into his eyes, and he looked extremely tired and emotionally drained. He spoke again, saying, "Jess, you're shaking... Are you alright?" I glanced at my hands, and I saw that they were involuntarily shaking. I suddenly blurted out, "I had no idea that he was armed. Nobody saw a gun, and he was about to rape the UC, so I tackled him. I was frisking him, but he pulled the gun and fired a shot before I had the chance to disarm him and before anyone else saw the gun." I felt Rafael's thumb brush over the back of my hand, calming me down.