Chapter 35

I woke up in bed next to Rafael and looked out the window to see rain pouring down on our bedroom window. I took a deep breath and I felt his arm snake around my waist as he kissed my neck and said, "Good morning, cariño." I smiled into his embrace and replied, "Good morning, Rafi."

It was a Saturday morning and we had gone out to the bar the night before with some of the members of the squad since we had busted a huge human trafficking ring near the Meatpacking District. It was a huge bust, as we had been researching and following this ring for months since we got the first tip off about it. Carisi and I had found another break in the case that led to finding and busting the ring. Fin offered to be on call the next day as he had the highest alcohol tolerance of all of us, so Rafael and I were able to have a good night out with the squad.

I got up slowly and shivered as I left the warmth of the comforter on our bed. I went into the kitchen and started to make us breakfast, and Rafael came out with a pair of sweatpants and a tee shirt on. "What's for breakfast?" He asked me, and I replied, "After last night, a full breakfast with waffles, bacon..." I trailed off as I saw his mouth water. "Mmm, I'll make some eggs and some sausages."

A little while later and our breakfast was finished. We sat down and began to eat, and my phone buzzed. I groaned and Rafael said, "Already?" I smiled and glanced at my phone and saw that I had a text from Liv. It was inquiring about when I was going to start with the DA's office in Nassau County and start picking up more consults and part-time shifts with the SVU in Manhattan.

"Relax, it's just Liv asking when I'm gonna start splitting shifts. I'm gonna tell her Monday so that I can start moving things into my office before I start on Wednesday." Rafael smiled at me and said, "I'm really proud of you, Jess." I smiled back and replied, "Thank you."

*

My job with the DA's office in Nassau County was starting today, and even though I was extremely excited, I was kind of nervous and sad to be leaving the SVU. My supervisor had told me that if I worked hard enough, I could be called into the city to be a DA for one of the five major boroughs, and that's something I've always wanted.

While I was making the move over here, the SVU back in Manhattan was working on filling my spot with someone part-time. Since I was still consulting on cases there part-time, they didn't need a full-time hire yet. I had moved all of my things at my desk from the SVU to my new home and my own office at the Nassau County DA's office, and when I worked with the SVU, I would be splitting a desk with Carisi. After all the close calls we've had together, I think we'll be okay splitting a desk.

My first day at my new job was full of paperwork and formalities. I had to learn how to use the database system, how to fill out different paperwork on my new MacBook that I had been assigned by the DA's office, and I had to meet everyone in the office. Surprisingly, most people in the office already knew who I was - not because of Rafael, but because of my career and my reputation within the SVU and the NYPD. I was absolutely thrilled that I was earning respect from my colleagues and I was starting to settle in there.

*

Maybe two weeks after I started with Nassau County, I woke up on a Thursday morning and felt extremely sick. I nudged Rafael awake and groaned, and he replied, "Are you alright, cariño?" I shook my head negatively and heaved. I got out from under the covers and went to the bathroom, and Rafael followed me slowly, making sure that I had space. After gathering myself together, I came out from the bathroom and asked, "Do you think it's food poisoning from dinner the other night?" Rafael shook his head and said, "I don't think so. Everything was cooked fine. Do you just feel nauseas or is there anything else?" I paused and replied, "I just feel really tired and my stomach is killing me."

Rafael debated something for a minute and said, "If you don't feel better by tomorrow, I think we should get you to go see the doctor. Do you want me to stay home with you?" I smiled lightly at his thoughtfulness. "Rafi, I have to get to work, and so do you. I'll be okay-" At that exact moment, I heaved again and ran into the bathroom. I found Rafael at the door, looking at me with a concerned expression and he said, "You aren't going in to work today. Call your boss and tell him you're sick, or I'll do it for you."

I called my boss and told him I was sick, and he said that it may be the stomach virus, since that had been going around the office before I started there. I thanked him as he said that he hoped that I felt better, and I hung up the phone and climbed back in to bed and fell asleep.

As I woke up again and I was immediately thankful that it wasn't because I was going to be sick, but Rafael rushed in to my room and burst out, saying, "We need to get you to the hospital, now." I opened my mouth to interrupt, and he interjected, saying, "I called Liv and told her you were sick. She said there had been some attempted poisonings around the city and that someone was injecting foods and drinks around where we were for dinner. We need to go."

Before I could process everything, Rafael helped me get dressed and plopped me in his car before he sped down the street heading for the emergency room.