Chapter 21

I was sitting on the bed in our master bedroom, and I couldn't help but think of my amazing wedding day with Rafael and all of the people who're close to us. Raf had told me that he was making lunch for us, and I was simply sitting on our bed, staring out of the window, smiling. I heard a soft knock at the door, and I heard Rafael say, "It'll be ready in 10 or 15 minutes." I nodded and turned around as I asked, "What is it?" Raf smirked and said, "You'll just have to wait and find out." He joined me on the bed and sat next to me, and he asked me, "What's on your mind?" I smiled widely and replied, "I'm just thinking back to our wedding day."

Rafael laughed and said, "It's been a month, Jess." I looked up at him and replied, "I know. It was just one of the best nights of my life, Raf." He put his arm around me and hugged me to him, and I leaned in to his shoulder. "You know what song I loved that played at our wedding?" Rafael hummed in a questioning tone, and I responded, "Forever Now."

I saw Rafael looke down at me with a loving, caring expression, and he asked, "You loved that song?" I nodded, and he said, "I did, too." I got up and grabbed my phone, and I began to play the song. I guided Rafael up and we began swaying to the music as Kristian Bush began singing.

Kiss me now, feel my heart beat. Take me down in white and marry me. Walk me up to love and start, forever now. Forever now, take my heart, forever now. Forever now, just say yes, forever now. Like a diamond in the rough, that you cut and polish up. Like a blue across the sky, see the whole world in your eyes. Walk me up to love and start, forever now.

I wrapped my arms around Rafael's chest, and I hugged myself closer to him. I felt his arms wrap around me, and I allowed myself to be enveloped in his embrace. "I love you." I whispered, and he replied, "I love you more."

Forever now, take my heart, forever now. Forever now, just say yes, forever now. Today's the day we've been waiting for. Like a dream, turn the key, feel the lock, open up the door. Won't you walk me down, we'll start, we'll start, forever now. Forever now, take my heart, forever now. Forever now, just say yes, forever now. How about we start forever now.

Raf was humming along to the music as my head rested on his shoulder. I sighed happily, so content with this moment.

Forever now, how about we start forever now. Let's start forever now. Forever now, forever now, forever now, take my heart, forever now. Forever now, let's start forever now.

I was smiling widely as I felt Rafael kiss me on the temple. I really lucked out with this guy. As the music faded out, I looked up at Raf and asked, "How come I'm the only one who sees this romantic, cutesy side of you?" He laughed at my wording, and replied, "Because you're my wife. You're the only one that gets to see this side of me." I smirked and answered, "You could at least be nice to Benson or something. Just once." Rafael chuckled and replied in a slightly defensive tone, "I'm nice to Benson!" I smiled up at him and said, "Sometimes."

I heard the oven go off, and I went to go get dinner ready. I heard Rafael's footsteps behind me, and I began to get everything ready. "What's this? It smells delicious!" I smiled and proudly replied, "It's called asopao criollo." Rafael interrupted me and excitedly asked, "Chicken and rice gumbo?" I smiled and nodded, and Rafael's arms wrapped around my waist as he hugged me from behind. "Te amo, mi amor." He kissed my cheek as he squeezed me to him, and I smiled widely. He was so grateful for the little things, and I absolutely loved that.

Rafael was everything that my father told me to look for in a man. My father had said to look for a man who is a hard worker and who has drive and passion. He told me to look for someone who will appreciate the little things in life and in our relationship. He told me to find someone who cared more about me than about himself. He told me to find someone who would make me laugh when I wanted to cry, and he told me to find someone who would be there, in my corner, supporting me. He told me to look for someone who would disagree with me and who would argue with me, because that would make me a better person and allow me to see others' perspectives when it came to various issues. Most importantly, he told me to find someone who loved me for who I was and what I stood for, not for what I've accomplished and what I do.