Chapter 29

[A/N: I'm so sorry that I haven't been able to update for so long. My second semester of college was absolutely crazy, and even though I've been home for a month, there's still been a lot happening with my family and my life. I hope this chapter is okay, I haven't written in a few months, so I may be a little rusty.]

I arrived at the District Attorney's offices and made my way up to Rafael's office. I saw Carmen outside and she greeted me, saying, "Hi Jessica, how was the interview? Rafael told me about it, he's very proud." I smiled and replied, "I think it went really well, I just have to wait a few days to know whether I got the position or not." Carmen smiled at me and continued, "I'm glad to hear it went well. Rafael's in a meeting, but he'll be back down in a few minutes. You can go ahead inside if you'd like." I thanked Carmen and went into his office.

I sat on the couch that was all too familiar to me from both case reviews and evidence collection that was done in his office, as well as late nights waiting for him to finish up prosecutions and evidence analysis for his cases in court. Rafael's office was like a second home to me and I wouldn't have it any other way. I scrolled through some of the unread texts that I had, and I was surprised to see some of the names on my phone with blue dots next to them in my iMessages app; Liv was the most surprising. She had asked me how the interview went.

Just as I was about to reply to Liv's text, I heard the door to Rafael's office open. I looked up and saw the familiar suspenders and suit combo that could only belong to my husband. He closed the door, and before turning around, he said, "Carmen told me you were here." I sensed a bit of agitation in his voice, which was probably due to the meeting that she had just come from. I hesitated a bit and asked gently, "Rafi, are you okay?" He put his things down on his desk and walked over to me, and he sat down on the sofa seat next to me.

"I'm fine, cariño." He said, placing his hand on my knee and reassuring me. I got the hint to not push the issue further, and he resumed, "How was the interview?" I replied, "It was good. I think they liked me, they said they'll get back to me on whether I got the job or not." Rafael said, "Good." I could tell that the meeting that Rafael had just gotten out of had altered his mood significantly, so I decided that I would leave him be and go back to the SVU. I got up to leave, and Rafael asked me, "Where are you going?" I walked to the door and said, "I'm going back to the SVU, I have some work to do. I'll see you at home, Rafi."

And with that, I left Hogan Place.

*

"Hey Jess, I didn't expect to see you today." Liv said as I walked into the precinct. I smiled as I put my things down at my desk and said, "I figured I'd catch up on some paperwork. Where is everyone?" Liv came over to my desk and said, "Fin and Rollins are out on a case, and Carisi went to go grab us lunch. You want anything?" My stomache growled, and Liv laughed as she called Carisi to grab me lunch. When she hung up, I said, "Rafael and I were supposed to get lunch, but he wasn't in a great mood after a meeting he had this morning, so I just left." Liv thought for a moment, and had an epiphany. "Oh! It was probably his meeting with the other ADAs and the DA... He had been saying that it wasn't gonna be a good meeting." I sighed, not knowing anything about the meeting. Liv was the first time that I was hearing what it was actually about.

Before I could say anything, Carisi barged in and yelled, "Food here!" I laughed and he said, "Hey Jess!" I greeted him, and as we all sat down in the bullpen and began to eat, Liv's phone rang. She answered, and her facial expression immediately changed from relaxed to uptight. Before she could hang up, Carisi and I had already begun to put on our jackets and get our phones. "There was a sexual assault on Chambers Street in Battery City, near the One World Trade Center. Rockefeller Park. All three of us are going, Fin and Rollins are on the way back here with their vic now." With that, Liv was driving one car, and Carisi and I drove the other and headed south toward Battery City.