Chapter 38

{A/N: Hello! So, it's been quite a while. A lot has gone on since I've last written, but I've literally just graduated from college and will be pursuing a graduate degree. Now that I'm not traveling the world and have some time to breathe, I figured you all deserved an update! Thank you for bearing with me!}

I had established myself as an Assistant District Attorney in Nassau County and had dealt with various situations during negotiations and trials, but it had never gotten this bad.

I was sat in the Nassau County Correctional Center with one of the sergeants who had been a part of a case surrounding a gang member raping a woman in Hempstead. The gang member had his lawyer with him, and we had a pretty air-tight case. As we talked about a plea deal, the lawyer was quick to dismiss the deal, alleging we had no evidence to proceed to court. He claimed the evidence we were relying on was inadmissible.

"Usually it would be, but in the case of forfeiture for wrongdoing..." I saw the defendant tense up, asking his lawyer, "What's she talking about?" His lawyer replied, "She's claiming you had Garcia killed to prevent him from testifying. If she can prove that," he paused, placing emphasis on his next words. "Which she can't," he paused again, continuing, "Then Garcia's tapes would be allowed."

The Hempstead sergeant intervened, stating, "Except we can prove that. Your client had a phone call with his girlfriend, Gabriela, earlier today?" He asked, and the inmate replied, "Yeah, to calm her down-" His lawyer cut him off, saying, "Stop talking, Miguel."

I asked rhetorically, "Did you tell your client that prison phone calls aren't confidential?" I pressed play on a recording of Miguel's phone call, and the evidence was damning.

The boys took care of Garcia, he's not talking to nobody... Not without a tongue.

The recording stopped, and the lawyer and his client exchanged a glance. The lawyer bit his lip before saying, "I'll need some time to confer with my client. We may consider a plea."

I knew the case was air-tight now, and so did he. I replied dryly, "Hmm, we'll take our chances in court... Unless Mr. Gonzales would be willing to testify against his fellow gang members. Then we can talk about a deal."

Miguel looked straight back at me, saying, "It's cool, I'll do my bit. Prison's ripe for new recruits anyway. My boys are loyal to the core, they've got my back here on the inside and on the outside. Garcia was never a member of our gang..."

He paused, and what he said next sent my nerves tingling.

"The fact is, I'm safer in here then you are out there... Mitchell, is it? Or should I say Barba? Got a nice little baby with that Manhattan ADA husband of yours..."

The sergeant quickly snapped, "Keep your mouth shut... Threatening an ADA isn't a smart move. Threatening two? Even dumber."

We quickly left the jail, and as soon as we stepped out of the building, my breathing rapidly increased. I had no idea how I had managed to keep it together back there... How did he and his gang know about my family? The sergeant was quick to come to my side, and he said, "He can't get to you and your family-" I was quick to cut him off.

"He can't, but his gang can. I've seen this play out during my time in the New York SVU. This is a chance I'm not willing to take. Have your guys look into this gang and their activity, and I'll put this on Manhattan's radar, too... That's a heavy threat to make to two New York ADA's."

As soon as the sergeant left in his car, I locked my doors and dialed Raf's number. I knew he wasn't in court today, and I anxiously waited for him to pick up his phone. I began the drive into Manhattan, where Rafael was working and where Ariana was in daycare. After he failed to pick up, my heart rate increased. I called Liv, and as I was speeding down Grand Central Parkway, she picked up.