Chapter Four: Family

OKAY SCARLETT, YOU can do this

I leaned against the wall, letting out a long breath. It was time for a pep talk. "Time to meet your parents. Don't worry, Scarlett, you're their daughter. Of course they're going to love you. You can do this."

Thankfully, there was a soft knock on the door.

"Come in!" I called.

The door opened and Dr. Michaels poked her head into the room. She gave me a quick once over. "You look lovely, Scarlett. Good choice!"

I smiled. "Thanks, Doc."

"Ready to go?"

I bit my lip. "I think so."

She gave me her signature warm smile. "You'll be just fine, hon."

I leaned my crutches against the wall and tested out my new walking cast on my leg. When I was confident I wasn't going to fall on my ass in front of my parents, I nodded. "Okay, let's do this."

Dr. Michaels held the door for me as I stepped into the hallway. Together we made our way to the elevator down the hall. Once we were inside I closed my eyes and we soared upwards.

"Now, your parents have been briefed on your condition and your injuries."

I nodded along.

"But don't be surprised if it's difficult for them, seeing you," she noticed my frown. "Hey now, happy thoughts. They're excited to see you again after so long. This doesn't happen often, you know, a child who was taken going home after so long."

I opened one eye and gave her a smirk. "I keep trying to tell you I'm special, don't I?"

Her soft laugh filled the elevator car. "We're all going to miss your peculiar sense of humor, hon."

I giggled and the elevator doors opened wide. I happily hopped out. "Oh, I know."

We walked towards a family room. Dr. Michaels stopped us outside the closed door. "They're right in there, Scarlett," she told me, motioning towards the door.