Chapter Thirty-Four: Support

"I WANT EVERYBODY in our dressing room as soon as we get to the theatre! Hair and makeup first, then we're doing a run-through!" Aurora called out from the front of the bus as we sped down the highway

It was the day of our first competition, the qualifying round for states. This year, the competition was being held in Stamford. And while that wasn't far from Bridgeport, Aurora didn't trust us to make it there on our own. And while the actual competition wasn't until later in the afternoon, she had wanted us to be there early enough to get dressed and give us plenty of time to rehearse on the stage.

The forty minute bus ride hadn't been so bad, really. To my utter joy, Kamilah and her minions were some of the last dancers to arrive, which not only earned them daggers from our team captain, but stuck them with seats at the front of the bus. Far away from me.

As the bus slowed, pulling up in front of the theater, we gathered our things. The only thing I had brought on the bus with me was my phone and tote, which I slung over my shoulder as I stood with the rest of the team.

The street in front of the theater was packed with buses unloading girls, each team standing out in their dance uniforms. It was a sea of greens, blues, yellows, white, and black jackets, some more eye-catching and professional than others. Our team was one dressed in sleek, black track suits with blazing red detailing and the Summer Grove crest on our chests. Each of us were also easily identifiable by our last names embellishing the back of our jackets in shimmering golden thread.

In a well rehearsed fashion, we filed into the theater with our heads held high and our dance bags slung over our shoulders. Aurora escorted us to a dressing room labelled Summer Grove Royals, before announcing we had fifteen minutes to get our makeup and hair done up how we were told.

The last time I'd dressed up for dancing, Aurora had been there to help me. Now, I was left to my own devices. I knew what we were expected to have— winged eyeliner, silver eyeshadow and an array of rhinestones glued around our eyes. I could manage my hair, Sienna had helped me wave my hair early in the morning, and all I had left to do was clip the front pieces back behind my ears.