Chapter Seventeen: Threats

AIMEE AND MEGHAN, as well as Aurora and Violet, were thoroughly unimpressed when they tracked me down that morning

"What the actual fuck went down yesterday?!" Aimee yelled after she almost tackled me in a hug.

Apparently my so-called parents had contacted each and every one of my friends last night trying to find me before I finally told Aimee I was okay.

"Er, just some family stuff. I'll tell you about it later," I brushed her off.

Meghan's reaction had mirrored her sister's, only on a less dramatic scale. Aurora and Violet, while just as concerned, were more focused on if I was okay rather than the details of what had gone down.

I felt bad, not telling them any more, so I made a thousand promises to the group that I'd explain it all at lunch. But I could feel Aimee watching me all morning in class.

When the bell for lunch chimed, Professor Keegan asked me to stay back to discuss an assignment I had missed yesterday. A good fifteen minutes and a lecture on attendance later, I was free of my hateful Algebra professor. I hurried along to the cafeteria, finding my group of friends seated at a table by the window overlooking the courtyard.

"Sorry I'm late," I said breathlessly, seating myself between Aimee and Violet. Not so stealthily, I reached over and grabbed the shiny green apple off of Meghan's lunch tray.

She rolled her eyes at me, but didn't object. It's not like she was used to me stealing her apple every day or anything.

Aimee stopped mid-sentence and turned to me. "Okay, Red, explain yourself," she demanded, crossing her arms over her chest.

I took a bite out of my apple to hide a wince. "Explain what, exactly?" I clarified, leaning back in my chair.

Aimee scoffed. "Your mom called me like fifty times yesterday. She said you took off and weren't answering your phone. And you didn't even answer any of us. Not cool, Scarlett."

I cringed. "I'm sorry guys," I looked around the table at my four friends. "I, uh, got in a huge fight with my... parents. I just needed some space."

"So you just took off? Scarlett, you know you can always come to our place if you need to get away," Meghan reminded me in a sad voice.