Chapter Eighteen: Half-Truths

AFTER PRACTICE, I had driven to Aimee and Meghan's house to stay the night

AFTER PRACTICE, I had driven to Aimee and Meghan's house to stay the night. And being the wonderful, guilty, lying best friend I was, I even came bearing a bag of sushi from the sisters' favorite Japanese restaurant. I couldn't, for the life of me, understand their love of raw fish, but I was perfectly happy to order a bowel of teriyaki noodles for myself.

When she opened the door, Meghan nearly tackled me in a hug. I hadn't told them I would be here, but I felt it safe to assume I was welcome. Which was good, because I really didn't want to spend the night sleeping in my car for real. Or resort to other options in order to avoid going home.

Meghan had lead me up to her room, where she and Aimee had been finishing up homework and bingeing on 'Grey's Anatomy'. I happily joined them, handing out their individual boxes of disgusting raw fish, finding a spot on the soft rug and pulling out a Latin Assignment I wasn't quite ahead on yet.

We worked quietly for an entire episode before both of my friends shut their books and looked up at me expectantly.

I froze. "Can I help you?" I mumbled through a mouthful of teriyaki.

Aimee rolled her eyes and tossed her laptop beside her on the couch. "Aren't you going to tell us what happened between you and your parents? You didn't go home last night and you didn't tonight. You love your mom and dad like Meg loves cheesecake and 'Teen Wolf', why do you keep avoiding them?"

I would've laughed at her analogy if I hadn't flinched slightly when she called them my parents. It was a stark reminder of what I was keeping hidden. "They're out of town," I lied smoothly.

Aimee scoffed, a sound I wasn't used to being on the receiving end of. Wordlessly, she grabbed her phone off of the couch and pulled something up before tossing it to me on the floor.

I caught it and looked down at the screen.