Chapter Five: Home

THE NEXT HOUR was a blur

My parents whisked me away from the hospital as quick as they could, not giving me time to say goodbye to anybody there.

They lead me to the back entrance of the hospital, where delivery vehicles arrived. As soon as the heavy door was open, all I could see were flashing lights. I could hear the crowd of people yelling questions at me.

"Scarlett! Is it really you?"

"Can you tell us about the man who kidnapped you?"

"How did you escape?"

"Tell us how you feel, finding out you're basically American royalty!"

"Can you really not remember anything?"

As I was assaulted with questions, my father shooed off the cameras and my mother did her best to get me into a waiting town car. Somebody I assumed to be hospital security finally arrived to push back the crowd and my mother and I finally got into the back of the car, my father following suit.

The car moved slowly at first, probably to avoid hitting the bodies crowded around, desperate to capture a photograph of the taken girl. As the car picked up speed, I felt myself falling asleep, lulled by the whispers of my parents beside me.

My peaceful sleep was disturbed by the sound of a woman's voice calling my name.

"Scarlett, baby, wake up. We need you to get on the plane," my mother murmured. "I know you're sleepy hon, but you can sleep on the plane."

I opened my eyes halfway, my vision clouded with sleep. I blinked quickly. I looked out the window to see a large plane on an abandoned air strip.

I must be dreaming.

I felt my father putting a strong arm around me and pulling me from the town car. With his help I stumbled up the ramp and into the massive airliner. Gently, he set me down in a seat. I sank into it, enjoying the feel of the soft, buttery leather under my hands and I pulled my legs up under me, still hazy with sleep.

Just as I drifted back into the darkness, I felt someone wrapping a plush blanket around me, tucking me in.

My last thought before I drifted into the black abyss was...