Chapter Thirty: Outed

IT TOOK ME ten minutes to get upstairs to my room without disturbing my parents, who were tucked away in their own rooms and likely sound asleep

The moment I closed my door behind me, my cellphone started to ring, and I jumped a good foot in the air. Cursing quietly to myself, I rooted around the disaster zone Sienna and I had left in my room. By the time I finally found the stupid thing under my bed, whoever had called kept calling back, barely hanging up when my voicemail kicked in before they were calling again.

"What the hell?" I muttered, as I slid my finger across the screen and pressed the phone to my ear without checking the ID.

"Ohmigod, Scarlett, please please please tell me you aren't at home right now. I tried to stall her but--"

"It's okay, Meghan. She knows," I sighed, successfully stopping her panicked babbling.

"Oh. You told her? She didn't tell me you told her," Meghan said breathlessly.

I held my breath for a beat, not sure how to explain the situation to Meghan. On one hand, Aimee was her sister. On the other, I was her friend. While Meghan had told me she wouldn't pick sides if something like this happened, I knew exactly where her heart was in this matter. And I couldn't fault her that.

"I didn't get the chance. She showed up just when I got home. I couldn't exactly shove Noah into the shrubbery," I told her, letting out a sarcastic laugh.

"She saw you guys?" Meghan asked in a small voice.

The moment replayed in my head for the millionth time. Standing there by the door, revelling in that goodnight kiss one second, crying and screaming the next. I shook the thought out of my mind. "If she'd been just five minutes later, we wouldn't be having this conversation."

I collapsed onto my bed in a huff, drawing my knees up into my chest.

"You sound exhausted. I'm assuming it didn't go over too well with Aims then?"