Chapter Ten: Breathe

"DECLAN?" I SQUEAKED out involuntarily

His lips curved into his signature smirk as he looked down at me. "What's the rush, Angel Face?"

I flinched at the name, a fog of a memory threatening to take over. "Let me go," I struggled against him, my hands balling into fists against his chest. "And don't call me that," I pleaded through gritted teeth.

"Don't be an ass, Declan," I whipped my head around to see Aimee standing with her arms crossed over her chest, a look of animosity in her hazel eyes.

I wasn't sure if it was Aimee's words or the look of desperation I knew was painted on my face, but he slowly unwound his arms from around my waist and shoved his hands in his pockets of his uniform dress pants. He didn't make any move to leave though, remaining so close to me I could feel his body heat pulsing over me.

Aimee stepped forward and lightly grabbed my wrist. Only then did I realize I was shaking, from the cool wind on my skin or from the anxiety I was struggling to keep at bay, I didn't know.

"Let's go, Scarlett," she murmured, gently tugging on my wrist towards the Rover where Meghan was waiting for us. "We have class."

I looked back to see Declan's impassive face had morphed into a bitter smile. "Oh yeah, Aims, you may want to hurry along. Wouldn't want Noah catching you here."

I watched as the color drained from Aimee's face as she dropped my wrist and hurried off to the car, leaving me behind.

"Great friend you got there, Angel Face."

My breath caught in my lungs and an image of Him passed behind my closed eyes. "Stop," I whispered, my voice breaking. "Just stop. Please," I dipped my head forward to hide my face, feeling my composure breaking. I turned quickly, preparing to jog the rest of the way to the SUV.

Just as I was taking a step away, his arm darted out, wrapping a hand around my small arm. "Wait, Scarlett, what's wrong?" His voice was barely a whisper, his bravado gone. "I'm sorry."

Apparently, only then did he realize there was a crowd of people with cameras pointed at me. His hand gently squeezed my arm as he watched them. "Go ahead, they won't bother you" he told me, before giving me a gentle shove towards the awaiting vehicle.