Chapter Thirty-Five: Praying

🚨 double update alert: make sure you read chapter thirty-four first 🚨

THE REST OF the afternoon passed by in a blur

After our dance was finished, we all headed back to our dressing room. Some of the girls grabbed their uniform jackets to put over top of their costume, while the few of us who had another dance to perform changed into our second costume.

According to the program, I was the third last soloist to perform. Kamilah was the second. That left me with plenty of time to rehearse my solo a few more times and relax before having to take the stage. So, instead of changing, I opted to grab my jacket from my bag and head out into the lobby to find some food.

Thankfully, the majority of the crowd was still in the theater watching the performances, which meant I didn't have to contend with a line-up at the concession stand. I ordered a salad and a bottle of water, taking my number before heading off to the side to wait for my order.

The odd dancer was wandering around the lobby, some talking with friends, others stretching or texting. I had left my phone in my bag when I got there that morning. Not because I didn't want to talk to anyone, but more because I wanted to stay focused on my dancing. But now, standing alone in the lobby, I was regretting that decision.

It left me alone with my thoughts, which was dangerous for me. I had made it through our group dance without any faults or fuck-ups. I didn't have to worry about trivial things like forgetting steps, because I had been in a group where I had other dancers to follow along with. Up on that stage, with the lights and eyes on me and me alone, was far more intimidating.

"Here's your salad, hun!" the woman behind the counter called, holding out a tray for me and drawing me out of my stressful thoughts.

I thanked her quickly, taking the tray and heading over to one of the little bistro tables they had set up in the corner. While it may have been less lonely to head back to the dressing room, I knew that Kamilah was rehearsing in there, and I was not in the mood for a confrontation.

Halfway through eating my bland salad in silence, I felt a warm hand fall into place at the small of my back.

"Have I ever told you how beautiful you look when you're dancing?"