Chapter Thirty-Two: Practice

"KEEP YOUR ARMS straight on that turn, Scarlett!" Aurora called out, her tone clipped and monotone

I nodded my head once as I continued with the choreography, making sure to hold my form straight and clean as I made my next turn.

With only a few days left before our first competition, the pressure Aurora was putting on the team had increased exponentially. Our practises ran longer, our warm-ups were more intense, and Aurora's patience with us had seemingly began wearing thin.

However; her patience with me had run out three days ago.

Aurora's sister Braelynn had returned to choreograph the rest of our routines on Tuesday. And by our routines, I meant mine, as she hadn't had time the day before to sit down with me and run through the solo she'd made for me.

We'd gotten along well enough at the start of it, Braelynn first demonstrating the choreo for me before slowing walking me through it step-by-step. It was a beautiful solo, and she'd even taken the time to make the tiny changes that made it fit my dance style and difficulty levels.

In short, I loved it. It was graceful and fluid, and the story it told resonated with me more than I had thought a simple dance would.

That is, until we all did a run through of our dances in front of the team.

When I'd hit my final mark and the music cut out, most of the team gave a short round of appreciative applause. Juliette even took the time to tell me how gorgeous she thought it was. Even Violet had applauded and gave me an encouraging smile.

But Aurora had stayed completely still, her face set in a smooth look of disinterest.

"Kamiliah, it's your turn," had been all she said.

Violet shot me an apologetic look after that, before turning back to watch Kamilah's solo.

After practice, I'd approached Aurora to ask her what she'd thought of my dance. No parka or cozy knit sweater could prepare me for how cold she had been.