Chapter Twenty-Six: Amends

"ALRIGHT EVERYBODY, GOOD job

"ALRIGHT EVERYBODY, GOOD job. Let's go through it again!" Aurora called from the front of our group of dancers.

Our first competition was coming up, a qualifier for Regionals, and she was set on working us until we were perfect. New routine, new dance style, new music; you name it, she'd been drilling it into our heads that week. One of the girls, Kensie or something, had joked about getting her a whistle and fatigues an hour before, and Aurora had forced her to run a dozen laps around the gymnasium.

We'd been pretty silent since then. I mean, aside from myself and Violet of course, who had been snickering to each other every time an underclassman did something wrong in front of Aurora. Doing such seemed to warrant a snappy lecture from the dance goddess herself, which was almost always comical and once in a while ended in tears.

We'd finished learning our group routine the day before, and were working on cleaning it up. Two solos and a trio routine were still up for grabs, according to Aurora, and this week was serving as auditions. Either shape up and get a reward, or face losing a shot at performing individually for the scouts who were said to be attending the completion.

After another thorough run through, Aurora wrapped up practice. We huddled together around her then, most girls waiting to hear which five dancers had been awarded the prestige honor of a solo or trio.

"Good work, most of you," Aurora started out, eyeing up a certain group of Fourth forms who had been slacking off earlier. "Now for the moment you have all been waiting so patiently for."

Collectively, the girls around me took a sharp inhale, hanging on Aurora's every word with anticipation. Well, aside from Violet and myself who merely listened dotingly. And Satan's spawn, of course, because God forbid she actually listen to anyone aside from herself speak.

"First, the obvious. Yes, I'm dance captain. Yes, I gave myself and Violet the duet dance. If you've got a problem with that, take it up with someone who cares," Aurora smiled cheerfully, despite a mumble of distain that sounded from the direction of the demonic posey on the edge of our group.

Anyone with a brain knew Aurora and Violet would place with their duet.

"Now for the trio," she started, flipping through her clipboard. "After much deliberation, we've decided that Katia, Juliette and Taylor deserve their time to shine."