Chapter Forty-One: Fairytales

BEFORE MY MOTHER was discharged from the hospital on Sunday night, the doctor broke the news that her radiation treatments didn't seem to be having any effect on her tumor

BEFORE MY MOTHER was discharged from the hospital on Sunday night, the doctor broke the news that her radiation treatments didn't seem to be having any effect on her tumor. With that, her increasing frequency of headaches and her new occurrence of seizures in mind, the decision was made that Mum was going to stop treatments.

The news should have broken me all over again, but by that point in time I was just numb.

My father drove us home that night. I sat in the back with Mum as we made the trip back to the house, holding her hand the entire way.

Once we'd helped her back up to bed, I'd kissed her goodnight, I'd headed to my room, curled up under my covers and cried myself to sleep.

The next morning was hellish.

I'd put my foot down and refused to go to school that morning. Dad had called in to work and informed them he'd be taking a leave of absence to tend to things at home, which meant we'd spent the morning sitting at the dining table discussing what would come next.

With some convincing, Mum and Dad eventually agreed to have me excused from school for the foreseeable future. My schoolwork would be sent to me online to complete, so that I didn't fall too far behind, but I would still be able to spend my days at home with Mum.

There was one thing, however, that I couldn't manage to talk them out of.

"Absolutely not," Mum scoffed, shaking her head slowly. "You are not missing your winter Formal."

"Mum, the last place I want to be right now is a high school dance where the only things that matter to anyone are winning some cliché title or wearing the prettiest dress," I argued, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Scarlett, sweetheart, you've already gotten your dress, haven't you?" Dad asked, setting a mug of hot coffee down on the table in front of me. "And you did agree to go with that Noel boy of yours. I'd hate to see you break the poor boy's heart before I've even gotten the chance to take him golfing."

I fixed him with an exasperated expression. Leave it to my father to be making boyfriend jokes at a time like this. "Dad, you know his name. And I really don't think he'd be all that sad about it. There's always prom."