Chapter Seven:

"Hi Emma."

I freeze mid-chew, a mouthful of egg salad sandwich in my mouth, with a dot of mayonnaise on my bottom lip. I try to mask my shock at his words- his non stuttered, clear, words- but I'm unable to stop it. How could I, he's talking to me.

Nathan Walker just initiated a conversation...with me.

He shuffles uneasily in his seat, his face a mask of nerves and disappointment, which I don't understand in any way, shape or form.

Swallowing my mouthful of food, and wiping my mouth with a napkin, I smile brightly at Nathan, probably blinding him, my grin is so wide.

"Hey, how are you?" I offer him the other half of my lunch, which he accepts with some hesitation, taking a slow bite, and nodding in thanks.

"I'm g-good." He closes his eyes, inhaling and exhaling deeply, as if he's trying to calm down. upon opening his eyes, he continues, a look of determination flashing in his eyes. "H-how are y-y-you?"

I pop a grape into my mouth from the bag I'd packed this morning, smiling like a mad-woman at our simple conversation.

"I am fabulous." I pop another grape in my mouth, then gesture my hand to the bag. "Do you want one?"

He swallows hard, clearing his throat before stuttering out the words obviously frustrated with himself.

"N-no thank-k y-you." He gives me a small, small smile,

He should smile more, I think to myself, finishing our lunch in a comfortable silence, looking around at the bustling room at the groups of teens crowding tables. Me sitting with Nathan has become fairly old news, although I do catch a few wandering eyes glancing in our direction.

When the bell rings I start to pack up my stuff, packing up my bag and collecting my trash to throw it out. I glance up at Nathan as I'm about to leave, offering him another smile.

"See ya." I give a small, weak wave and he waves back, his slim form towering over me by more than a foot.

"B-bye." He gives a tight lipped smile, one that shocks me to the bone, before walking away, leaving me in the empty cafeteria with a look of utter astonishment on my face.

.  .  .  .  .

I lean back farther on the worn leather couch, grasping my glass of lemonade tightly in one hand.

On instinct, Luke throws one arm around me, bringing me closer to his warm body, and sending me a dramatic wink.

I laugh, taking a sip of my sugary drink before turning to face our friends, all talking and laughing around us.

"Okay, back to what's Important- I vote we watch Grown Ups Two, personally."

Everyone groans at Brett's suggestion, and he pouts, holding up the DVD case.

"Hey, don't hate on my opinion. This is a work of art." He insist, and I laugh along with Janice at his serious expression.

"I'll watch the first one," I offer, the twins and Luke nodding in agreement.

"No," Parker whines, holding up two DVD case. "Guys, come on I watched The Princess Diaries last night- you cannot just leave me hanging like this, I need the sequel too!"

Quinton rolls his eyes, holding up some science documentary, which causes everyone to groan even more.

In a matter of seconds, Quin and Janice have lodged themselves in a fight, debating the facts in the documentary and their logic.