Chapter Fifty-Four:

If we're being completely honest, 'it's not what it looks like' doesn't even begin to describe this situation.

"M-mr. Da-awn, I a-am so-so s-sorry, I d-didn't r-re-realize-"

"Emma, explain, now."

"Nathan, this is my father. Dad, this is Nathan, my boyfriend."

Nathan offers his hand out, to shake his, and slowly, nervously drops it back down when my Dad ignores him. It makes my blood boil, to see him being so rude.

"Your boyfriend?" The disgust in his voice kills me; I have to fist my hands to stop them from shaking, have to firmly plant my feet so I don't lunge out at him.

"Nathan, Emma and I need to have a moment alone." There is no question, no please. It's an order, my father the corporate tycoon, expecting everyone to bow to his wishes. Nathan sends me a quick look, and the meaning is clear; Are you okay? Should I leave?

My Father doesn't miss the look, nor does he miss the stance Nathan has taken between the two of us; with his body shadowing mine, legs spread and arms strained at his sides, as if ready to shield me.

I can only nod, I don't want Nathan to have to see this. He grabs his shirt on the way out, but not before sending my father a sharp look, one that seems like it might actually affect my aged, lean, foot shorter Dad facing off against all 6 foot 10 of Nathan.

As soon as the door closes, he's turning on me, eyes livid, face reddening as he angers himself further.

"What in God's name do you think you're doing, partying it up with your boyfriend in my cottage? And before we even get to that, are you insane? Your giant of a boyfriend just sucker punched me in the face, do you even think about what that means for you? Emma, can I trust at the very least that your mother either didn't approve or doesn't know about this abusive relationship?"

"Do you even hear yourself? You walked in here with no warning and tried to rip him off me, of course he would go on the defensive, he was protecting us! You know nothing about him, Nathan is not abusive, God, Dad." I rub at my face, already feeling exhausted with this conversation. "And don't try to undermine Mom like that, you have no right. Mom has actually met Nathan, properly, and if you gave him a chance, you'd understand why she loves him."

"Give him a chance? I don't need to, have you looked at him? You're walking around with some horror movie wanna be, do you know how bad that looks for your reputation? And if it looks bad on you, can you even comprehend how that comes back to me?"

"You're kidding me," He has to be deranged; how can he think he has any right telling me what I do (which he's never cared about before) affects his job?

"You know for a few seconds there, it might have actually seemed like you cared. But no, this is all about your job right, this is about the company, about you and your corporate life that was so much more important than your family. Nathan is ten times the man you'll ever be, and knowing that is worth more in my books than your approval."

For a matter of milliseconds, there might be a shadow of hurt in his eyes. But then it's gone, so fast I can hardly know if it was ever there at all.

Is he even capable of feeling anymore?

"Emma, wake up, the world isn't a playground. Looks matter, and if you want to get anywhere, you're not going to do it with him by your side. He's holding you back, you don't see that?"

His words cut like a knife; they destroy any hope I had for the father I used to know. How can he be so cruel? So thoughtless?

I feel like I'm seeing red. Everything he's said before this, was of course bad. But he's crossed a line, way overstepped it.