Chapter Twelve:

"EMMA!!!" Matteo comes flying at me the second I've entered the apartment, arms flailing as he maneuvers past his brothers to me, back next to the door taking my shoes off.

His arms wind around me like a vise, tightening once I'm secure as if they'll never let go. He picks me up, hugging me to his chest with so much force I can barely breathe, my face mushed against the fabric of his t-shirt.

"I am so excited for this, we are going to have so much fun this week, oh my gosh this will be an amazing sleepover- we can make cookies! And watch chick flicks, not to mention some boy talks for you, don't worry I know you've been needing them and- "A swift smack follows his cut off words, not to mention the groan from Matteo as he lets me down, rubbing at the back of his red neck.

"You're going to give scare her away weirdo, let the poor girl breathe." Enzo rolls his eyes, mumbling in Italian as he continues to watch Matteo fret at me and talk, guiding me to the guest room down the hall.

It's been changed since the last time I was here; the once white bed spread has been switched out for a pale blue one with an array of mix-matched pillows to choose from, a laundry basket and a mirror had been added to the ensemble, whether for my benefit or just as an addition I don't know, the curtains adorning the window- which were once white and are now a light green-have been pulled back to reveal the view of the modern skyline, dotted with large, glass, business buildings and condos, sleek and reflective in the sky.

It's perfect; small and cozy in the homey, welcoming sense, yet still holding that lived in effect, standing amidst it all, you can feel the memories that have been made, the family laughs shared, the moments that were lived in, the songs that had been played and the voices that had spoken, - I could practically imagine Nathan and his brothers in here when they were little, playing games and jumping on the bed, their laughs ringing out through the halls.

It was exactly what a girl who felt so far away from her home, so pushed from her comfort zone and breached of her normalcies, needed to get that serenity. That feeling of mutual understanding and comfort that comes in nearly every house- that feeling of home.

.  .  .  .  .

The boys left me to unpack, to settle into my home away from home for the next few days. The clothes I brought were folded into the drawers, and my shoes were laid by the front door with everyone else for easy on and off. Anything school related I left on drawers, my notebooks, pens, binders and textbooks piled neatly in a stack.

Taking a seat on my temporary bed, I let myself sink backwards into the plush mattress, already exhausted from the day's activities, not to say there was many.

A rapping on the door brings me up from my sitting position, a hand going through my hair to calm its fizziness.

"Come in," I murmur, and at my words the door slowly cracks open, Helen peaking her head inside.

"Ciao Emma, dolce cuore, how are you settling in?" Closing the door tight behind her, Helen makes her way over to my bed sitting next to me on the soft comforter.

"Good, really good thanks. And thank you so much for letting me stay here, I know you guys have a full house as it is, so it means a lot." I give her a smile, picking at a loose thread on my jeans absentmindedly.

"Oh no problem, honey you're more than welcome to stay here whenever you'd like, don't even worry about it," Helen gives my shoulder a squeeze, as if to reinforce her words. "Now, dinner will be ready in a bit if you want to wash up and come on over."

"Thanks Helen, can I help at all with dinner?" Helen moves to the door, her hand steadied on the brass doorknob, ready to depart, presumably back to the kitchen.