Chapter Twenty-Six:

"HALLELUIAH!" I jump, turning to face the brothers stumbling out of the supply closet, wicked grins on their faces.

They round the work bench to reach Nathan's side, oblivious to the embarrassment burning on his face.

"We were starting to think one of us would have to ask you to the wedding instead, if Nate didn't man up." Matteo winks cheekily at me, reaching up to ruffle Nathan's hair.

"Mum's only been badgering him for weeks, took you long enough." Enzo smiles down at Nathan, who's once again hunched over the table, before turning his smile to me.

"For weeks huh? When's the wedding?" I furrow my eyebrows, trying to think up how many chances Nathan may have had to ask me before today.

"Valentine's Day." Helen offers me a tight-lipped smile as she enters the kitchen, handing us a ticket order for several tables.

She squeezes Nathan's shoulder on her way out of the kitchen, balancing a tray of muffins in her palm.

"I know it's rather short notice, but someone,"- she sends Nathan a small smile- "was being a bit shy."

"No, it's okay, really, Valentine's Day is still a few weeks away."

"My thoughts exactly." Helen hands off the tray to Enzo, nudging him out the door.

"Now, despite how happy I am for you two, and I am, genuinely, the tables are starting to get a bit packed out there." With a spin of her heel and a brisk wink, she's back behind the front counter, her long skirt swishing around her ankles as she goes.

Matteo follows soon after her, bringing out the next few orders, leaving us with three tickets left.

I smile shyly at Nathan, reaching over to grab the remaining tickets.

"Ready?"

.   .   .   .   .

"Thank you, come again!" I wave the last elderly couple out the door, locking it behind them with a heavy sigh.

I turn to face the dining room behind me, frowning at the mess left in the wake of such a long service.

I can hear the others in the back, already tidying up the kitchen, washing dishes and wiping down the counters.

The clean up takes a while, and between the five of us we're done in an hour, lethargically settling down on the couch afterwards.

I squish myself between Enzo and the arm rest, relaxing back against the soft cushions. With a soft sigh, I close my eyes, leaning my head back.

Matteo drops onto the couch across from us, kicking his feet up on the arm rest. He throws his arm over his eyes, nodding off into soft snores within minutes.

Helen smiles softly at us, passing out mugs of hot chocolate before settling down on Enzo's other side.

Nathan brings a plate of cookies, passing them to Enzo in the middle before settling down on the floor, back against the couch, between Enzo's legs and mine.

Helen and Enzo strike up a conversation in seconds, speaking softly to as not wake Matteo from his nap.

I lean forward in my seat, softly bushing my fingers against Nathan's shoulder.

He turns at my gesture, offering me a shy, soft smile. I frown at the tense muscles of his back and shoulder. Gently, I massage away the strain in his back, the action coming to mind with little debate before doing it.

He stiffens at first, as if hesitating over my intentions, before leaning back against my hand, a content sigh leaving his lips. I smile, reaching my other hand over to his other shoulder, repeating the gesture again.