Chapter Twenty-Seven:

"And that is why-"

The blaring, praised sound of the bell cuts off the documentary we're watching, saving us from further boredom. Even I had to admit, the topic choice for the film (being the state of Europe's trade market) wasn't exactly enticing.

Students were flooding the halls with returned energy, eager to escape the first, long, agonizingly-slow day back at school.

Dodging swinging backpacks and locker doors, I make my way to my locker, carefully squeezing in between the crowds to get there, avoiding any elbows or shoulder's accidentally flying my way.

With a loaded backpack- thanks to my history teacher's impromptu 'refresher' essay due tomorrow- I turn on my heel, prepared to make a mad dash for the parking lot, until my plans are blocked, quite literally, by the looming body behind me.

I walk right into him, bouncing back slightly against my locker, while Nathan on the other hand barely flinches at the impact.

"S-sorry." He murmurs, gripping my arm gently to help right me on my feet.

I rub at my nose, laughing at myself. "It's okay, I just wasn't expecting it."

I smile to let him know it's okay, and that I mean it, and he smiles back, nodding towards the direction of the doors, a silent gesture.

Reaching for his hand, I maneuver us out of the packed hallway, squeezing his fingers reassuringly when people stare.

In a matter of minutes, we're out in the open, crossing the parking lot to start our walk to the cafe. Only when out of the prying eyes of other students does he seem to relax, his muscles seemingly less tense in the fresh, January air.

Before we can reach the welcoming doors of the cafe, he pulls me aside, answering my curious look with some hesitance.

"J-just a h-he-heads up, m-my m-mom w-w-wi-will want t-to t-talk a-all about t-the w-we-wedd-wedding, a-ad ar-arr-arrange p-plans."

"That's okay, I'll need to know the details eventually."

"U-um, M-mom's v-ve-very ex-ex-excited, so j-just u-um...w-well, y-you'll s-see I g-gu-guess."

Confused, I follow him in, loving the sound of the bell chiming as we enter.

We head to the back, replacing our backpacks and coats with aprons before finding the others in the kitchen, busy per usual.

"How are you, how was the first day back?" Helen showers us with kisses, hugging so tight I can barely breathe before returning to her whisking.

"Good, a bit slow, but good." Nathan simply nods in agreement, taking over the whisking for Helen. She sends him a grateful smile, wiping her hands down on a tea towel before throwing it over her shoulder.

"That's great, excellente! Now, before you get started, we have some things to discuss, boys, will you be okay?"

Enzo sends me a sympathetic look before nodding to his Mom, while Nathan just gives me a small smile.

Frowning, I follow her out of the kitchen, letting her guide me through the nearly empty dining room to the stairs.

"Helen, I feel bad about leaving the guys, maybe we should talk about this after?"

"Emma, there was barely two people out there, the rush won't start for an hour, they'll be okay. Besides, with you and Nathan so glued at the hip lately, I might not have another chance."

I blush at her words, trying to defend our actions, but she holds up a hand, guiding me over to the couch.

"I'm happy for you two, and you're great for Nathaniel, so don't worry about that." Smiling sweetly, she folds her hands on the table, relaxing back into the chair.