Chapter Forty-Six:

"Y-you do-don't ha-have to, I kn-kn-know it's k-kind of o-odd. It's j-just th-this tr-tradition w-w-we h-have." He shrugs his shoulders as he lifts the tent bag into the trunk, looking down at me with a smile.

The fresh snow fall from a few days ago had offered what would probably be the last chance this winter for Nathan and his cousins to continue their snow-camping tradition.

"L-last ch-chance to b-back ou-out."

I poke him teasingly in the ribs, where I know he's ticklish, and try not to laugh at his squirming. "Nathan, it will be fun, don't worry. I want to go as long as you want me there."

Our thick winter coats make our hug feel even warmer than usual, caged in by the warmth of the crinkling fabric.

I couldn't help but laugh when Nathan met me at the door, bundled up to the maximum in his snow pants and jacket. His jaw was hidden behind a scarf, while his glove-clad hands hung out of his pockets. He looked like a marsh-mellow. He still does.

I can't say I look any better though. I had to dig my heavy-duty winter jacket out of my closet, and searching for snow pants effectively took me half an hour in the hallway closet.

But, it would all be worth it, once we meet up with Peyton, Mia and Antonio at their house. I've never been camping in the winter before, but from the way Nathan described their annual camping trip, it sounds like so much fun.

"I feel like an oompa loompa in this thing." My voice is muffled into his chest, and it only makes the statement sound funnier, so much so that Nathan laughs out loud.

"H-hey, y-you're m-my o-o-oompa l-lo-loompa."

"Are you guys done there?" Enzo peaks his head over the back seat of the van, raising his eyebrow at our current state.

"Y-yeah, j-ju-just ab-about."

.      .      .       .      .

"Emma! It's been way too long!" Peyton and Mia launch themselves at me the second I'm out of the van, squishing me in a bear hug that makes it hard to breathe.

"We've been bugging Nathan to bring you around again." Mia winks at him as he pulls our camping supplies out of the trunk, smiling as his blush darkens.

"I've missed you guys too."

"This is going to be such a fun camping trip!" Clapping her hands, Mia skips to pester Matteo and Enzo about when we're leaving, the pompom of her hat bouncing as she goes.

"I hope you don't mind cold nights," Antonio nudges my elbow with his, gesturing up towards the rolling hills of forests far back in the property; somewhere among the trees is where our campsite awaits, and untouched blanket of snow unsettled between a series of pines (or so I've been told).

"Oh I'm ready, as ready as I'll ever be."

"She'll be okay," Matteo hoists a full hiker's backpack over his shoulder, walking by me with a smirk, "she has Nathan to keep her warm."

"W-what?" Nathan turns around so fast he whacks his elbow off the van door, his cheeks coloring pink as he blushes.

"È probabile che Nathan ci ucciderebbe se qualcun altro avesse cercato di tenerla al caldo." Enzo bumps Nathan's shoulder as he walk by him, grinning at our matching flushed faces.

"Ti colpirò." Nathan's eyes narrow as he watches his brother walk off, face clouded with a mixture of annoyance and embarrassment, "non lo vedrai arrivare."