Chapter Fifty-One:

I can barely contain my excitement on the ride home from school. Luke is practically bouncing off the walls beside me in the backseat as we wait for Beau to officially pull into the drive way before throwing open the door and rushing to the house.

"Alright, you go get changed and comfy for the ride, I'll fix you something to eat." Luke drops his bag on the stairs as he heads for the kitchen, seemingly having a game plan in mind.

"Oh no you don't, I am not making the mistake of letting you cook in my kitchen, not again." AJ follows behind him so closely it makes me laugh, thinking back on the cooking disaster he speaks of.

It is a house rule to not speak of Luke's meatloaf.

"That was one time and you know it!"

I shake my head at their antics, already flying up the stairs to get changed into my comfy road trip clothes. I'd picked the clothes out last night while packing, and looking at it spread on my bed makes me giddy with excitement.

I pull on AJ's old football sweatshirt and leggings, wiggling my toes as I slip on my favorite grey fuzzy socks.

I practically skip down the stairs, mouth-watering at the amazing smell wafting out from the kitchen. AJ directs me to the table when I walk in, and expertly slides an omelette on my plate from the pan. I have to laugh at Luke's pouting face as he pours me a glass of juice, although he winks at my grin, so I know he isn't too upset.

"You have cash? A phone charger? Your cell is fully charged? What are you guys doing about food?"

"Yes, to all three. And we've agreed to go shopping Saturday morning, to get all the food we'll need while we're there, so that's taken care of."

"Did you check in with Dad? Make sure he's not going to be down there this weekend?"

Not even the mentioning of my absentee Father can bring my mood down, not today. "When I called in, his assistant at the office said he had board meetings all this weekend, he won't be there."

"Okay, good. What about medical emergencies? You know where the closest hospital is, and you're bringing up a first aid kit?"

"Sir, yes sir," I fake salute him in an effort to remind him that I am his sister and not a fellow officer.

"Beau and I are on speed dial on your phone?"

"You always have been."

AJ's grin is infectious as he leans over me to kiss my forehead, grabbing my empty plate to bring it to the sink.

"Sorry Em, I don't mean to interrogate you, just have to make sure you've thought everything through."

I hug him around the waist from behind, letting my cheek rest on his back, "I know, and I appreciate the concern, really, but we'll be okay."

"GROUP HUG!!" Luke crushes me from behind before I can even register what he said, and despite his eye roll, Beau joins in too, ruffling my hair playfully as he thuds a hand on Luke's back, five starring him.

"OW! You ass-hat, why would you do such a thing?" We separate immediately, AJ and I turning to face them with growing grins.

"I didn't like your face." Beau shrugs simply, un-offended by the crude name.

"So, hit me in the face then, like a logical person, what did my back do to you?!" Luke rubs at his back, lifting up his shirt to examine the growing red hand print outline in his skin.

"Sorry, want me to hit you in the face then?"

"My face is my money maker and you know it. Taint it with your aggression and prepare to feel the wrath buddy."