Chapter Thirty-Eight:

"I'm just saying, he doesn't exactly give off the best vibe, I'm just worried about you." Barely even glancing up from her color-coded notes, Janice throws her hair back in a tight pony tail, her eyes scanning the page fervently.

"Janice, I've told you, stop listening to what people say about him. You can't honestly think you know everything about his character based off some gossip you heard in the locker room." I look to Luke on my right, begging him for help with my eyes. 

My friends are important to me, just like Nathan is important to me. Is it so wrong to want them to at least co-exist with each other? To at least try to become, if not friends, then at least be on better terms? 

He rolls his eyes at Janice's qualms, leaning across me to speak directly to her.

"Jan, you haven't even met the guy. Besides, I've hung out with him, he's cool, and you know I wouldn't ever leave Emma with someone I didn't trust."

Pursing her lips, she finally glances up at us, her eyes narrowing like they do when Quinton makes a good argument she can't deny in a debate. I've seen that face more times than Icould count. 

"I'm just trying to be cautious, I don't want to see you get hurt Em," Her eyes soften, her expression appearing less competitive, and more compassionate. I know she's only acting on concern for me, but it still hurts that she doesn't trust my judgement.

"I do know that, but I'm telling you, you'll like him."

Her frown is too quick, too easily decided on her opinion of him. I can see it in the lines of her face, the glean in her eye. No matter what I say, her opinion of Nathan is already decided.

"I don't have any intentions of meeting him."

Sharing a look with Luke, I try to hide my grin as the bell rings for lunch. "I invited him to sit with us today."

.    .    .    .    .

Trying to hide my excitement, I take my time putting my books away in my locker, and heading to the lunchroom, easily spotting our table. Brandon and Brady are already there, fighting over who's sandwich is who's.

I wait to start eating until Nathan arrives, not wanting him to have nothing to eat. My hand automatically finds the pendant against my collarbones, gripping the cool metal medallion between my thumb and forefinger, relaxed by the engraved grooves and divots.

Luke and Parker arrive together, taking the seats on my left, and instantly gorging out on their food after offering their greetings to the others. Cameron decides to stop by, joking with the guys and, upon her arrival, teasing Janice about her sudden infatuation with avocado salads.

Brett and Quinton arrive last, the former sending me a curious look at the empty seat beside me. I'd told them in advance that Nathan would be joining us, and yet he hasn't even entered the cafeteria yet, his looming frame nowhere to be seen.

I text him, asking if he got held up in class, and reminding him where our table is in case he forgets- not that our cafeteria is that big, but you never know.

Despite the optimistic smile I send to my friends, I can feel my heart sinking; can feel my stomach churning with worry over his absence. Something doesn't feel right.

Ten minutes go by, then twenty, and before I know it in ten minutes lunch will be over, and the seat beside me is still barren and cold. Ignoring everyone unasked questions and Janice's knowing, smug look, I rise from the table, mumbling some excuse about going to the bathroom, even though none of them will believe it, before leaving.