Chapter Thirty-Nine:

"Thanks for the ride AJ. I'm going to hangout with Nathan after my shift, he said he'd drive me home." Undoing my seat-belt, I turn to him before I open the door, awaiting his response.

Even though he doesn't say anything, I can see it all over his face, the smug, slightly teasing smirk, the knowing eyes. It's a look I've seen far too many times growing up, a look usually accompanied by a sing-song 'I told you so'

"Don't give me that look." My groan only makes him grin as he shakes his head, glancing over at the Belmonte's front window.

"I didn't even say anything."

"You don't have to, I can literally feel your judgement." Rolling my eyes at his laugh, I get out of the car, running quickly to the sidewalk to avoid oncoming traffic.

"Hey, Em?" I turn back to face him through the rolled down window, my hand already clutching the doorknob to enter the cafe.

"I'm happy for you, really. Nathan's good for you."

He winks at me before driving off, the cruiser disappearing into the sea of rumbling engines and pedestrians that make up the Toronto night life.

.     .     .     .     .

The warmth of the kitchen welcomes me in as I tie my apron behind my back, smiling at Enzo as I pass him, his tray loaded down with mugs and plates.

"Party of twelve on the far side, you've been warned." I can't help but laugh at his faux-ominous voice, trying to stifle it before I reach Helen at the counter.

"What am I starting with today?" She offers me a smile over the cake she's icing before directing me to run the cash register while Matteo baristas.

There isn't much time for chatter in between readying orders to go and dealing with undecided customers, but Nathan offers me smiles in passing as he carries trays to and from the kitchen, even risking the occasional touch when Helen's not looking.

Nothing big either; his hand on my arm as he squeezes past Matteo and I, his fingers brushing mine when no one is looking, loading up his tray at the counter right beside me so as he works our legs brush together.

By the end of my shift, and after we help clean up, Nathan is practically dragging me up the stairs, his hand engulfing mine as he opens the door into the empty flat.

"What was that about?" I can't help but taunt him about his eagerness, it's too cute.

Nathan guides the way to the kitchen, gesturing for me to just leave my shoes on. He laughs at my teasing, offering me hot chocolate as he's boiling the water.

"It's k-ki-kind of t-to-torturous t-to be r-ri-right n-next t-to you, a-and n-not be ab-able to h-hug y-you, o-o-or k-kiss y-you, o-or ev-even re-really t-talk."

He pushes himself up on the counter top beside the kettle, reaching out for my arm to pull me towards him, only stopping once I'm between his knees. Leaning forward I wind my arms around his waist, allowing my head to fall forward against his stomach.

"Is this better?" His arms are around me before I can finish the sentence, looped around my lower back loosely.

"Mhm." His hum vibrates in his chest under my ear, making me laugh against his shirt.

We only separate when the kettle starts to steam, working quickly to make our hot chocolate before returning to the living room, and taking over the couch.

Letting mine cool down before drinking it, I place the mug on the table and curl into Nathan's side, letting my head rest in the slope of his waist, above his hip.