XXXV

Liam's POV

A few weeks after Niall's home from hospital we get a phone call from the police station saying that there has been a breakthrough in the investigation.

I called Josh to ask him to look after the kids because we don't want them to worry about anything just yet.

Louis and I make our way to the police station and ask for Officer Cowell at the desk.

"Just one moment, gentlemen. Officer Cowell will be here soon." The lady at the desk said.

"What do you think they've discovered Li?" Louis asks biting his lip - a sign he's nervous.

"I don't know baby, but please stop biting your lip." I say and use my hand to take his lip from between his teeth.

"Liam Payne?" Officer Cowell says as he comes into the room.

I stand up and walk towards the man.

"Hi, I'm Liam Payne, it's nice to finally meet you." I say shaking his hand.

"You too Mr Payne. Now, we have a lot to talk about." Officer Cowell says as he leads us into his office.

"Officer Cowell, this is my boyfriend Louis." I introduce them.

"Please, call me Simon, I'll be working quite closely with you over the next few months."

"It's nice to meet you, Simon." Louis said as we both sat down facing Simon.

"So, we think we've found the man who's been stalking Niall. He meets the description and has been spotted by CCTV cameras around your house at the times you suspect he was looking in the boys window."

"So do you know who it is?" I ask.

"Yes. Now you are Niall's guardians at the moment aren't you?" He asked and Louis and I nodded. "Well you know how you were told Niall was sent to the school by his aunt who he lived with in Mullingar, after the death of his parents?" Again we both nodded.

"I'm sorry to say but Niall's aunt was pronounced dead last week after a break in to her home. And the man who fits the description Niall gave was spotted on CCTV around that area also." He said and Louis tensed beside me. "We did a little research on the family history and discovered that Niall's aunt was married but it ended badly as the husband was jailed for abuse. Two weeks after Niall was sent to the school, the man was released from jail. We think Niall's aunt tried to protect him from the man by sending him to the school. After some further research into the matter I can conclude that the man who has been stalking Niall is Patrick James Horan, brother of Bobby Horan and uncle of Niall."

"W-what?" Louis asked as he started to shake.

"Patrick Horan has had three charges of battery and assault, five domestic complaints and one drunk driving accusation against him. He's quite a dangerous man, and after the death of his wife, I think he'll come back for Niall." Simon finished and Louis burst into tears.

"Can you give us a moment?" I ask and Simon nods.

"I'll be back in five, I'm going to retrieve the file for you guys." Simon says and exits the room.

"Liam." Louis sobs.

"Shhh, baby. It's okay, we know who it is now. I won't let him hurt any of you." I say placing gentle kisses into his hair.

"How are we going to tell Niall that his aunt's dead?" He sniffs.

"I don't know baby. We'll take him aside when we get home."