Prologue

Prologue

---

   'Marviston High School' , the weathered blue sign read.

I felt the uneasiness pool in the bottom of my stomach as my eyes searched through all the unfamiliar faces clad in layers of clothes. My neck itched under the scarf, making it feel like a form of suffocation as I took everything in. The sky was a sickly grey and the clouds were shapeless, ghost-like figures looming over the town. Dying trees spotted every sidewalk, further adding to the depressing vibe this town gave off. It was a stark contrast against my hometown in Arizona. The perfect term to describe it was yellow. A happy city filled with people in shorts and tank tops and a smiling sun.

Although this was my fourth day in Fairbanks, I still wasn't used to the cold, biting weather, or the different landscape of large, green and grey rugged land, dotted with snow-covered trees.

   And I'll probably never get used to this, I thought bitterly, tightening the thick wool scarf around my neck.

      My new school loomed into view, and I took in every detail of the high-tech-looking buildings. The school seemed to be branched into three buildings with a large fountain in the middle. I rested my cheek on the cold windows, watching students walk around the campus with the enthusiasm of coming back after summer. The big gates guarding the school were wide open, and the guards standing by one of the doors saluted Elyse, our mom.

    "On the plus side, this school doesn't seem to be falling apart like the one in Phoenix," Elyse decided to crack a joke. Usually, I would've laughed but not now— not when I felt like my anxiety was gonna rip me apart as the contents in my stomach whirled around like a bingo ball.

"Yeah, too bad it's my life that's falling apart now," I muttered.

I sounded as dramatic as the Kardashians, but I, in fact, lacked neither of their important assets, which resulted in me, a dramatic sheet of paper.

   Elyse sighed, giving up, and directed her vision back to the road. From my peripheral vision, I saw Damon looking at me, but I paid no attention to him, not wanting to feel the guilt. Elyse didn't like this either and in the back of my head, I knew she was only trying to make us feel better. But I didn't have it in me to try.

     Damon and Elyse both knew how hard this was for me—moving away like that. This was the first time I'd ever left Reece for more than fourth-eight hours; we practically shared the same diapers when we were younger. She's been my support system ever since kindergarten, and we've planned our prom nights and even weddings together in middle school. Senior year was supposed to be amazing.

   And now, I'm graduating with a bunch of people I barely know.

     I was snapped out of my thoughts when Elyse turned off the engine and unbuckled her seatbelt.

"Come on, guys. I know it's hard for you, I really do, but I'm sure you'll love it here. I heard they have great apple pie in the cafeteria," she said in a light-hearted tone, and I couldn't help but smile. Apple pie was Damon and I's favorite treat since forever.

     The cold air pricked my cheeks when I got out of the car, and a breeze traveled through my clothes, down my spine, making me shiver. The sweater I was wearing did nothing to keep warm against the cold sting of. I wriggled my numb toes, and the smile I previously had was now completely vanished and replaced with a scowl.

   "Damn, it's cold," Damon blew hot air into his hands and rubbed them together in hopes of getting warmer.

     "Nice one, Captain Obvious." I rolled my eyes and followed Elyse to the front doors.

     "Thank you, Senior Smartass," Damon called from behind me, snatching the beanie off my head and leaving my hair looking like a bird's nest.

My annoyance peaked when he placed an arm around my shoulders with a smirk, causing my scarf to uncomfortably tighten around my neck.

Out of all the times, he chose now to push me to the edge. Stepping out of his hold, I shoved him in frustration at his immaturity, watching in satisfaction as a look of shock danced on his face as he stumbled on someone behind him.

My satisfaction only lasted a second when I realized that the receptionist and a couple of other teachers were watching us warily.

"You must be our new students."

I looked behind Damon to realize that the person he stumbled on was a scowling, young woman in formal attire. When I shamefully looked away, she continued.

"I'm the principal here, it's nice to meet you."

   So much for first impressions.

------------------------------------------------

Author's Note:

Hey, guys! Here's the prologue of TGTCTP, and I hope you liked it. Thank you sm for giving this book a shot when there were plenty of other humor books to try.
I know this chapter is very short, but don't worry, all the chapters will be 3 times as long as the proglogue.

That's Zoey Deutch  down there who's Ash in the book: