Chapter 3 - Rough Start

Chapter 3

---

  Biology was always my favorite subject; understanding the anatomy of the body never ceased to amaze me. It would always frustrate me when something was wrong with me, and I wouldn't understand what it was. Biology was probably the only subject that I actually liked, even though I got straight A's in all my other subjects.

"Mr. Anderson, am I boring you?"

Apparently, Drake Anderson was Mr. Walker's (our biology teacher) favorite student. Not because he was a good student with good grades or anything, but because he was Drake's teacher ever since grade school. Despite all of that, Drake was one of the troublemakers in school, and the 'class-clown'. With soft-looking blonde hair and blue eyes, he was the cute 'boy next door'.

"Uhh, just a little bit." Drake smirked as most of the class chuckled.

Mr. Walker shook his head amused, and turned back to the board, knowing that Drake would pay attention from then. Just as Mr. Walker was about to say something else, the bell rang and everyone hurriedly got ready to leave, eager to go to the cafeteria.

"Ms. Brooks? Could you please wait here? I want to talk to you."

I nodded, surprised, and stood by his desk after packing my stuff. After everyone left, he closed the door and turned to me.

"I saw your records. You came from Phoenix, Arizona. Am I mistaken?"

Mr. Walker was probably in his late forties, with wrinkles telling stories of the emotions he felt in the past. He had a deep kind smile that made his eyes twinkle, and every time he smiled the wrinkles around his eyes deepened.

"No, that's right."

"This must be very hard for you and your brother, Damon. I also teach him. Moving around and fitting in. It says in your records that you were captain of your previous soccer team?" He looked at me from above his glasses in question.

"Yes, I was." I smiled as I remembered the team. We were a tight bunch, and I always felt like we were all our own tiny family.

"Well, I just wanted to let you know that we also have a soccer team here, and that I'm here if you have any problems, or if you wanted to talk. It'll be a pleasure teaching you, Ash."

"Thank you." I smiled to him, appreciatively, before grabbing my back and leaving. I dumped my books in my locker and jogged to the cafeteria eager to have some apple pie.

The cafeteria was so crowded, and there weren't any tables left. From the corner of my eye, I caught Bex waving at me. She was sitting with the other girls that we sat with yesterday: Mare, Celeste, and Hannah.

I walked over to their table after stacking my tray with food, and sat down next to Bex.

"Hey!" Bex grinned at me.

"Hi," I said with a mouth stuffed with pie.

The girls were all engrossed in their own conversation, and I was engrossed with my pie. And truly, I didn't mind. Pie would be there for me when no one else would.

"Can I have a bite? They ran out once I got here."

I reluctantly give Celeste some of precious pie. Apple pie was truly a gift, and I wouldn't want anyone living with the pain of watching someone eating it without having a bite.

"Thanks," she said with a smile that I returned.

"So, tell me more about this school," I said, taking another bite of my apple pie, "I love Mr. Walker, by the way."