Chapter 43 - A Big Moron

*NOT EDITED*

Chapter 43

---

An expression of surprise played on both their faces and I couldn't help but think I got the upper hand in this stupid game of mine. Chloe stepped forward and held out her hand which I took in a small handshake with leveled eye contact. She was about a few inches taller than me.

"How'd you know her?" Ryder asked the panic ever so slightly in his eyes.

"Reece," I replied curtly, "So, would you like to explain?"

"I was actually about to get going," Chloe said.

I nodded and stepped aside to let her pass. She put a perfectly, french manicured hand on my shoulder.

"It was nice to finally meet you," she said, her voice no longer warm but chilling as it sent down shivers down my spine, "Ryder's told me a lot about you."

She gave me one last smile and I kept my face expressionless. Chloe finally left the room and shut the door behind her. I turned back to Ryder and put my hands on my hips.

"Look, it's a long story. You should sit down." He exhaled and I stood firm where I am. He nodded with pursed lips. "Or you can just do that, that's-that's fine."

I watched him as he sat down and leaned back in the spinning chair by his desk. "So, Chloe used to go to school with us in Maviston High, but she moved to the school next to us because . . . because of circumstances that I will explain later on.

We were a thing for about 3 years and she was . . . she was crazy - in a good way. She'd have paint fights in art,  prank the teachers because she was bored, but I . . ."

"You loved her," I finished what he wasn't able to say. Or what I hoped what he was going to say. Loved.

He looked away. "But things changed, one thing led to another, and it was over."

I shifted from one leg to another and crossed my arms. "Then?"

"That's it."

"Don't- don't you lie to me, Ryder. I was the stupid one to fall in love with you," I took two long steps and shoved my finger at his chest as the anger bubble on the surface, "the pictures you posted on that account were recent, a week ago."

He looked taken aback, his mouth slightly open. My eyes widened when I realized what I said. The words tumbled out of my mouth before I had the chance to stop myself. I bit my lip as I took half a step back.

I said I love him.

"It's not that way. I'm not-Ash, you can't love me. I ha-"

"I know. You don't fu**ing love me back because I'm a big moron who was moronic enough to fall in love with you!" I pushed at his chest angrily, refusing to let the tears fall from my eyes, "A player will always be a player."

He closed his eyes and ran a hand through his hair. "I'm sorry."

I wiped furiously at my cheeks as I left him in the room, shutting the door angrily. I walked down the stairs, the hot, infuriating tears now running freely down my cheeks. Benjamin watched me from the kitchen door as I left the house and stepped into the car.

I'm sorry.

I'm sorry.

I'm sorry, his words rang in my head over and over again.

I sat there in the seat, watching the snowflakes fall on the windshield. A muffled sob escaped my mouth as I clamped a hand over my mouth. My face felt hot and red already.