Chestnut Rose

Hope you’re enjoying so far!

Chapter Quote:
“Staring at the wreckage of the life we could have had, I knew it wasn't about love… It was about sacrifice and redemption, loss that could have new meaning.”
~Calla Tor
___________________________________

Chapter 20: Chestnut Rose

Arya 

Muffled arguing was the first thing she heard.  She recognized the voices as Shiloh and Loren, but what they were arguing about, she couldn’t decipher.  Arya’s eyes fluttered open.  Her room was dark, but she sensed it was day outside.

“Arya?  Please tell me you’re awake,” a girl’s voice queried hopefully.

“Casey?” Arya murmured.

“Carrie and Melinda are here too.”

“Hey y’all.”

“How are you feeling?” Melinda asked softly.

“Crappy, but all right nonetheless.  Has Ren…” Arya trailed off, unable to finish the question.  There were so many things about him she wanted to know, like whether he’d gotten his memory back, whether or not he was better, whether or not he had visited her, whether or not he hated her or not, whether or not there was any chance she’d ever be able to get back with him.

“He’s okay.  His memory is still shot, but the healers at the academy are trying to fix that,” Carrie informed.

“So while he’s been waiting for the healers, he’s spent a lot of time up here with you,” Casey said. “Even without his memory, he’s completely enraptured with you.  Do you want me to go get him?”

“No!” Arya protested weakly. “No, don’t force him to come to me.”

“Don’t you want to see him?” Carrie remarked curiously.

“Of course, but I don’t even know what I’d say to him.  The best thing I can do for him is to give him space and let him come to me on his own terms.  Now can someone explain to me why Loren and Shiloh are arguing?” Arya demanded, struggling to sit up.

“No, no, no, you lay back down.  Otherwise we’ll quit talking,” Casey warned.

Melinda snorted. “If we quit talking, she’ll get up and go find out herself, even if she has to crawl to do it.”

“Always was stubborn,” Casey laughed.

“That has not changed,” Carrie added.

“What are they arguing about?” Arya repeated.

“Um, Melinda, why don’t you explain?” Carrie suggested.

“Yeah, throw the heat on me why don’t you?”

“You have a very calming effect.”

“Yeah, sure that’s it.”

“Melinda, tell me,” Arya ordered.

Melinda sighed. “So, except for me, Carrie, and Casey, there’s a bit of turmoil between your packs.  Shiloh and Loren have been at each other’s throats since you’ve been out.”

“How long have I been out?”

“Five days.”

“What?!”

“Lumine stabbed you with a knife dipped in poison.  It was supposed to slowly kill you but we’ve been giving you so much blood that it overrode the poison.  You’ll still be weak for a few more days, but you’re going to live thank god.  Anyways, they’re arguing about who’s your pack and who’s not.  Shiloh is saying your old pack isn’t your pack anymore and Loren is saying that we are simply their replacements and that you’ll revert back to being their alpha.  Ren’s been trying to stop it but he’s not doing well either.”