Chapter IV | Sturdy Like an Onix

Atlas' POV

     Today is the day, I thought. Today I'll earn my first badge, alongside Weedle.

     I left the Pokémon Centre rather early, around 6:45AM. Ace and Inferno were still asleep. I entered the gym with my Pokéball at the ready.

     I had already recorded Onix and Geodude's data in my Pokédex, so I had a plan.

     "So, you're the last one of the three, right?" Brock asked as I entered. "Atlas, was it?"

     I nodded and held my Pokéball confidently. "Then let's begin," Brock said enthusiastically. "Did you at least choose a water or grass starter?"

     I simply shrug as I send out Weedle. Brock facepalms which I found funny. "Let's go, Geodude!" Brock called. Good, he's leading with Geodude, I thought.

     "Alright, Weedle, use string shot!" I command. Geodude attempts to dodge it, but he moves too slow. Perfect, I grinned. "Now use tackle over and over again!" I call as my plan falls into play.

     Weedle slowly lowers Geodude's health until it's about to faint. "Geodude, use tackle," Brock yelled. Geodude rammed Weedle, sending the poor thing flying.

     "Weedle, stay strong," I exclaim. He quickly got back up again and finished Geodude off, glowing green. Instead of last time with the Weedle, stars popped out from Weedle.

     Nice, he levelled up, I thought. "Go, Onix," Brock called. "This is our third match in two losses, Onix. We aren't gonna let ourselves be taken lightly!"

     "Weedle use string shot," I demand, hastily. Onix was stuck to the arena and couldn't move. "Now, use tackle and keep it up!" I called.

     Weedle began striking Onix swiftly, wasting no time. Onix's health very slowly was dropping, but my plan was working. "Onix, use bide," Brock called.

     At that time, Ace ran in the gym, shocked to see Brock's Onix. "How did your Weedle beat his Geodude?" Ace asked, astonished.

     I simply shrug then told Weedle to use string shot again. "C'mon, Weedle, I believe in you!" I yell. "Now use poison sting, just a bit more."

     Weedle began firing purple projectiles towards Onix and took damage from hitting it.

     "Use bide, Onix!" Brock called. The serpent raced towards Weedle, but was pulled back by the string shot. It landed on the arena floor, taking damage.

     "Okay, Weedle finish this with tackle!" I command. Weedle wobbled slowly towards Onix and hit him, dealing damage. With that, Onix fainted.

     "It's funny," Brock started. "I beat trainers who bring grass and water-types, but I lose to fire and bug?"

     I simply shrug, finding it rather funny and try to not crack a smile. "Here is your Boulder Badge, Atlas."

     Ace grabs the badge from me to see if it's genuine, then gives it back to me. "How?!" he asks me the whole way back.

     I quickly enter the Pokémon Centre and heal Weedle.

...

     After some random shenanigans, such as catching a Pidgey on route 2, or buying potions, we arrived at the foot of Mt.Moon.

     We had to fight a ton of trainers and my Weedle evolved into a Kakuna.

     Eventually, we made it to the entrance. Beside it was a Pokémon Centre. It didn't look abandoned, even though this was a strange place to build it.

     After healing our Pokémon, we entered Mt.Moon. Soon, the sunlight could not be seen. Our only light source was the fire at the end of Charmander's dimly lit tail...

-----------------------------------------------------Once again, sorry for such a short chapter. Thank you for all the support so far guys. Hope you're enjoying this book :)