Chapter VIII | Crystal

Ace's POV

I strayed behind the group, allowing Atlas and Eclipse to lead us onwards to Vermillion City.

"I'm gonna head off that way," I call to Atlas. He turns around and looks confused. "Where? What for?" Atlas asked, puzzled.

I shrugged then began to walk off in the other direction. I just felt like something was on this path calling me.

A chill came over my spine seconds later. "Winter already?" I shiver. "Why, Jack Frost, why?"

Suddenly the temperature drops and my skin goes pale. "Atlas would love this weather," I mutter.

I felt like I was turning to ice. Then I turned my head up, slowly. A bird-like Pokémon flew overhead.

It had blue skin and looked like some kind of ice phoenix. I pulled out my Pokédex, despite being cold.

My legs shook from the temperature in the area and I could barely stand. "Articuno, the freeze Pokémon," the Pokédex began.

"A legendary bird Pokémon that is said to appear to doomed people who are lost in icy mountains."

"I don't need saving," I mumble. Articuno flapped its wings and the air continued to chill.

"Okay, class, tell me what types are weak against fire," A memory resonated. In Pokémon school, I learned that...

"Fire is effective against Grass, Bug, Steel and Ice." "Go, Growlithe!" I shout.

Fire is effective against ice. "Use fire fang, fast!" I shout.

     Growlithe leapt at Articuno and damaged it, but the Pokémon seemed unimpressed.

     It threw Growlithe into the air with a powerful flap of its wings. Growlithe didn't get back up.

     I decided to run to Vermillion City to heal Growlithe. A legendary bird? I thought.

     On my way there I felt my temperature slowly rise. Atlas liked the cold, I didn't. Articuno, the freeze Pokémon, I thought.

...

     I caught up with the group soon enough. Of course Eclipse had already beaten the third gym. "So, you say you saw Articuno?" Eclipse asked.

     I quickly pull out my Pokédex and show him the page. "You attacked it, didn't you?" He sighed.

     I quickly shrug as if I didn't know what he was talking about. Atlas was apparently on a boat called the S.S. Anne looking for an HM called cut.

Inferno was busy training and Luna looked bored. I decided to go off and train myself, after healing Growlithe.

Eventually I found a grassy area where I could train. After a while, Oddish evolved into a Gloom. At some point I noticed a trainer who caught my eye.

     She was looking around as if she'd lost something. I decided to check it out. "Hey, you okay?" I called. She turned to face me and had shining blue eyes.

     Why are anime girls always so cute? I thought to myself. I felt a gaze piercing me from far away.

     It was probably just Atlas giving me his 'stop breaking the fourth wall look' again. What a freak, I thought.

     "You need help?" I ask, when I got close enough. "Y-yeah," she sniffled. "What's wrong, you lose something?" She nods then wipes her nose.

     "I lost my necklace, it's a family heirloom," she muttered. A few moments later she turns off the waterworks and turns to me.

     "I'm Crystal," she smiles, still looking a bit sad. "Ace," I reply. "So what's this necklace look like?"

     "It's made of blue stained glass and has a diamond on the end," she mutters, wiping her eye.

     "So it's really special to ya, huh?" I ask. Crystal nods then wipes the last of her tears away. "I've been looking for a while and I still can't find it,"

     That's when my useless brain gets an idea. Yeah, Atlas called it useless. "Go, Growlithe," I call.

     "Do you have a scent of the necklace still?" I ask. Crystal simply shakes her head. "Growlithe, pick up Crystal's scent and find the necklace, okay?" I ask.

     Growlithe sprint off into the grass and eventually turns the corner. He stops in front of a patch of grass near Cerulean City. "You find something?" I ask.

     Growlithe barks at a patch of grass. Crystal approached it and picked up a shiny clear object, then placed it on her neck. "Thanks, I really appreciate it," she smiles.

     I shrug and pat Growlithe on the head. "Say, you have anywhere specific to go?" I ask. "No, not really, why?" Crystal replies.

     "Well you could come with us, my brothers and I that is," I shrug. Crystal doesn't seem to mind, so she agrees.

...

     I made it back to Vermillion City just as Atlas and Inferno arrived. Everyone turned to me confused, except Eclipse. "Who's this?" Inferno asks.

     "Hi, I'm Crystal. It's okay if I travel with you all, right?" she asks shyly. Eclipse shrugs and the rest don't mind.

     "Atlas, the hell is that?" Inferno asks, looking at a disc in his hand. "Cut, a hidden machine, or HM for short," he replies blankly.

     It was weird how moves worked, a Pokémon would use ember on a bush to get it out of the way, yet it does nothing whereas a blade can cut it. Weird, I thought.

...

     At the end of the day, Inferno and Atlas had beaten the gym. The leader's name was Lt. Surge.

     He used electric-types if you couldn't tell by his name. How Atlas had won by using a bee, a bird and a mouse, I have no idea.

Yes, his Nidoran is now a mouse. Because I say so. With that, I got some rest. The Pokémon Centre was becoming our go-to place for sleeping.

"You Pokémon are nice and healed now, get some rest dear," I heard Nurse Joy say from the other room. Atlas and Eclipse might as well be related.

Both slept on the benches, whereas Luna, Inferno and I used the beds. Seconds later, Crystal walked in and flopped down on an empty bed, face first.

I could tell she was tired from the long day she had. Probably would've still been crying if it weren't for Growlithe and I.

I smiled then decided to get some rest for tomorrow's gym battle.