iii

– Eve

I clutched my portfolio close to my chest, resting my chin on it as I stared up at the row of numbers on top of the elevator. It slowly decreased by one, each number lighting up to show what floor it was on before it finally reached the ground floor and the doors slid open in front of me.

I walked into the elevator, turning to press the button for the eighth floor before I turned round to lean against the glass back wall. The doors were about to slide shut when a guy stuck his foot between the two doors and caused them to slide back open. He gave me an apologetic smile, he was tall and had curly brown hair and deep brown eyes.

"Going up?" he asked, he was clearly from out of town – out of country in fact. He was Australian, his accent was thick and very attractive. I nodded, watching him hover his finger over the eighth floor button as well before pulling it away after seeing I'd pressed it before hand.

"You, urm, going for a job too?" I asked, making conversation as the doors slid shut and the elevator spurred into action. He nodded, running his fingers through his hair before he looked down at me.

"Model?" he questioned, a playful smirk on his face as he folded his arms over his chest. I snorted with laughter, shaking my head.

"No, photographer actually." I said, tucking a strand of my hair behind my ear. He nodded slowly, looking towards the rows of elevator floor numbers before back at me.

"I just thought, someone as pretty as you would be going for something on camera instead of something behind." he stated, leaning his head back against the wall as he let out a sigh.

I shook my head, looking down at my feet. They were starting to ache due to my black platform heels, which had seemed like a good idea at the time as they made me look more professional. But, to get this job I needed to look the part too as well as act it.

"How about you?" I asked, looking up at him "What job are you going for?"

"Oh, editor maybe." he said with a shrug before adding, "Not chief editor, just something to do with editing."

"I see, got a passion for fashion?" I joked, giving him a playful smile as we made eye contact. He chuckled, a deep heart-melting chuckle. If I didn't know any better, I would have been drooling right now.

"You betcha." he said, taking a step forward as the elevator doors slid open. He adjusted the strap of his satchel, looking over his shoulder at me before stepping out onto the floor.

"Well good luck, Miss Photographer." he added, giving me a wide encouraging smile.

I gave him the thumbs up, "You too."

—»—

I raised my hand to knock on Harry's front door, letting out a huff of air as I waited for someone to answer. The interview had gone okay, the middle-aged woman, Karen, who interviewed me was patronising but nice enough. I was praying that they'd take me on, photography was my passion and pursuing a career in it would mean the world to me.

"Hey, Eve." Harry greeted after he'd opened the door, looking over his shoulder before turning his head back to me. He welcomed me inside, shutting the door behind me and giving me a smile.

"Sarah's in the front room with the boys." he added, walking off and leaving me alone in the hallway to take off my shoes. I scowled, furrowing my brow as I followed Harry into the front room where the some of the Sidemen, Cal and Sarah all sat chatting and watching shitty daytime TV.

"Hey! How'd the interview go?" Sarah asked, looking up from her phone as she heard Harry come back in and sit down. I looked around, noting there
was no where free on the sofa and instead taking a seat on the floor.

"Here, Eve, have my seat." Tobi offered, pushing himself up off of the sofa. There had always been something I liked about Tobi, he was sweet and genuine and usually tried to be nice to everyone. I shook my head, opening my mouth to speak before I was rudely cut off.

"She deserves to sit on the floor." Simon sneered, glancing down at me with a cocky half-smile that I wanted to slap off his face.

I scowled back at him, "You're fine Tobi, you stay there." I gave Tobi a smile then, focusing my attention back on Sarah. She looked between Simon and I, her facial expression read that she knew that making Simon and I wedding dates would be the worst idea on the face of the Earth yet she still was routing the idea we'd end up becoming friends in the three months leading up to her big day.

"The interview went fine, by the way." I said, giving her a smile as I ran my fingers self-consciously over my legs. She nodded, leaning her head on Cal's shoulder who was scrolling through the channels on TV. It was then I noticed our group was lacking an important member and I looked around the group and then behind me for him.

"Where's Callum?" I asked, leaning back against the arm of the sofa.

"Avoiding you probably." Simon answered. I looked over at him, giving him a glare before I flipped him off. He in turn flipped me off, scowling as he focused his attention back on the TV.

Be friends with Simon? Over my dead body.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

omg double update, look @ me go

remember to vote and comment!

nell
1/06/17