viii

– Eve

As I brushed my calf with my foot, I scanned over the options on the menu and tried to decide on what I could eat. Every so often, I flicked my eyes upwards to see that Simon was waiting for me to decide what I wanted.

"Can you hurry up? I'm hungry." he whined, I yet again rolled my eyes and sank a little lower in my seat. I bit my lip, trying to decide what I wanted so Simon could go order for us.

"I'll just have the Calzone." I sighed, folding up my menu and slotting it back into the slot. He pushed his chair back, getting up and making his way over to the bar. I rested my chin on my palm, turning my head away from him and towards the window. This is why Simon and didn't get along, he was always moody when it came to me. I had no idea why, but if he wanted to be a dick. I'd let him be one.

He came back shortly afterwards, running his fingers through his silver hair as he sat down opposite me. I quickly flicked my eyes over to him before I looked back out the window.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw him roll his eyes and look down at his phone. I turned towards him and in an attempt to make conversation, I cleared my throat.

"I don't really like sitting in silence so," I hesitated, I hadn't really any idea what I was going to say to him and now that he was looking up at me and his eyes fixed on mine - my mind went blank "Um, how was your day?"

He raised his brows, "Fine."

"Wow, blunt much?" I said, fiddling with my fingers. He nodded, picking up his phone and holding it up to his face. Over the top of his phone, we made brief eye contact before he looked back down at the screen.

"What did you order?" I asked, swallowing thickly at my poor attempt to make conversation. To me, this was like an awkward first date except this wasn't a date. Well, I hoped it wasn't.

"A pizza." he responded bluntly, using his thumb to scroll through the phone.

"God, are you incapable of keeping any conversation?" I hissed, gritting my teeth "Like at all?"

He opened his mouth to speak but the waiter had arrived at our table with our drinks, I hadn't realised that the restaurant was as empty as it was. It would have been something I'd usually notice, except I was fighting to keep down the anger that was bubbling in my stomach.

"Thank you." I said, taking my drink from the waiter's hand and taking a sip of it. It was just water, which I was fine with as I wasn't in the mood to drink anything alcoholic or fizzy for that matter.

Simon took a sip of his own drink, Coke, before switching off his phone to look at me. I sighed, biting the corner of my lip as I watched the sun dip down behind the building outside.

"How did the dress fitting go?" Simon asked, I turned to look at him and raised a brow. Simon? Showing interest? Big shocker.

"Good, thank you." I said, "I spilt Iced Tea all over the carpet and the sofa but other than that," I stopped as Simon let out a chuckle "It was good."

"Typical." he muttered, letting out another light chuckle "You're a clumsy person, Eve."

I raised my brows, "How would you know that? And I'm not, I'm just a bit stupid sometimes."

"I second that." he smirked, taking another sip of his drink. I tutted, focusing my attention out of the window again.

"Hey, you brought that on yourself. Don't get stroppy." Simon teased, drumming his fingers against the table top.

"I'm not stroppy!" I defended, narrowing my eyes. He hummed, nodding slowly as he continued to drum his fingers on his table.

"Where's my food?" he questioned, taking a quick glance over his shoulder in a search for his meal "I'm hungry."

"Hi hungry, I'm Eve." I joked, smirking as I looked back over at him. He blinked a few times, his face now held a blank expression now that the smirk had been wiped off of it.

"Don't act so stunned, you brought that on yourself." I said, back handing his previous comment. He rolled his eyes, his hand came to a stop and it laid flat against the table top.

"Shut up."

"Not used to my level of savagery, Minter?"

"I'm not used to you, full stop."

"I don't want you to be used to me. I want to spend as little time with you as possible."

"Yet you're the one who agreed to come to dinner with me."

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

there wasn't a long gap between this and the last update. proud? i'm in austria @ the moment so the updates may come frequently but they may not - it depends.

fun fact, i actually wrote this on the plane there.

hope you enjoyed!
remember to vote and comment

nell
29/06/17