iv

- Eve

"Didn't know you were actually capable of getting a job." Simon sneered, pulling open the fridge door as he watched me poor popcorn into a bowl. I rolled my eyes, choosing to ignore him as I made my way over to the bin to put the packet away.

I watched as he placed a few cans of beer on the side, shutting the fridge with his elbow as he cracked one open for himself. He held one out to me, his eyebrows raised. I looked between the can and him - was he being serious? Was he giving me one that he had previously poisoned? Probably.

"I'm good." I said, turning away from him to grab the bowl and bring it up to my chest "So, you know then?"

"About us being wedding dates?" he asked, taking a long sip of his beer before continuing "Yep. Don't worry, I'm just as excited as you are."

I snorted with laughter, pushing past him to open up the fridge and grab a Coke. He turned his head, looking down at me as he reached for some popcorn. As he took a handful, I looked up from his hand to his face. Our eyes met briefly before I looked away, slamming the fridge door shut.

"What?" I asked, meeting his eyes again as he continued to stare at me. He shook his head, taking another sip of his beer as he slipped two of the beer cans into his pocket and held the the other one in spare hand. I raised my brows, opening my can of Coke and taking a sip of it.

"You not drinking tonight?" Simon questioned, leaning against the fridge door. Why was he making conversation with me? Usually, whenever the two of us talked it was either us shouting at each other or insulting each other. Or, we didn't talk at all - so why was he making the effort now?

"No, I'm driving." I responded, tucking a piece of my hair behind my ear before I looked over at him "Why do you care anyway?"

"I'm making conversation, Eve, jeez..." he argued, prolonging the 'jeez'. I rolled my eyes, taking another sip of my Coke before turning to walk back into the living room.

"Why are you drinking anyway?" I asked, looking at my watch before back up at him "It's literally one o'clock."

"And? It's after eleven.." Simon snapped, taking another sip of his beer "We can drink whenever we want, there's nothing stopping us."

"Yeah, but one o'clock?"

"Consider it a lunchtime drink."

"God, what are you? An alcoholic stay at home Mother?" I jested, pushing past him and back into the living room. Sarah met my eyes then, raising a brow before getting to her own feet.

"Wanna go out for lunch now?" she asked, walking round the sofa towards the hallway. I guessed she had already said bye to everyone, seeing as nobody batted an eyelid as she went to get her shoes. I placed the popcorn bowl in Harry's lap, following Sarah to get my own shoes. I had swapped my heels for a pair of flats and pulling them on my feet was so much better than pulling on heels this morning.

"Bye guys!" I said, sticking my head round the door to the living room and giving them all a wave. They all waved goodbye before fixing their eyes back on the screen, Simon took his seat back and turned his head towards me.

"Don't have too much fun without me." he joked, the same cocky smirk back on his face.

"Oh, I have all my fun without you anyway." I responded, walking out the front door with Sarah and grabbing my bag off the floor as I left.

—»—

I stabbed my chips with my fork, pushing them around my plate before looking up at Sarah who was scrolling through her phone. I knew she hated arguments but an argument between Simon and I was almost unavoidable.

"Are you going to eat those? Or just stab them?" Sarah asked, looking down at my hand before back up at me. I stopped placing my fork down, and resting my hands on my lap.

"Sheesh, sorry Mum." I muttered, looking down at my plate which was empty apart from a few lonesome chips. Sarah sighed deeply - I didn't want to upset her. I really wanted to get along with Simon for her wedding day but he just always gave me a reason to dislike him. Everyone just had to face the facts, Simon and I were never going to get along.

"So, I've booked a dress fitting next weekend." Sarah said, taking a sip of her drink. I nodded, tucking a strand of my hair behind my ear before I looked up and met her eyes.

"Are all the bridal party going?" I asked to which she nodded, "So, me, you and the rest of the bridesmaid?"

"And my Mum." Sarah added, tightening her ponytail. I nodded slowly, I pondered over why her Mum would be coming over from the Isle of Wight for just one weekend but then maybe, she was coming up during the week.

"She's excited to see you." Sarah said, giving me a smile. I smiled back, as Sarah and I had grew up together, I had spent enough time with both of her parents and listened to all three of them sing and play music. We were inseparable, we had both moved to London together at eighteen except she studied music and I studied photography. She dropped out and I stayed on, she got famous and I was left taking pictures of fruit for the next four years.

So here we were, a engaged singer and an aspiring photographer. Discussing mum's and Simon Minter.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

sorry for such a delayed update, i have been super busy with school and i have had no time to write or update

but hey, no i have actually got shit done and updated and i am no longer m.i.a

remember to vote and comment!

nell
10/06/17